The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My herd has been growing which is a great problem to have but it's made feeding time a ridiculous circus. I currently have 10 does in the big pasture. They do not have access to the main barn, but they do have a quanzot hut. I have fed just using pans on the ground in the past but thats not working with this many does. I realize it's still a very small herd compared to some but 10 feels like a lot more than 5! Haha! Does anyone use the clip on fence feeders? Or a trough feeder? Ideally I'd love something that I can access without trying to go in the pen and get mobbed but as I said, they don't have year round access to the barn (it's mostly stalls where the 4h animals or expecting/weaning mamas stay, and the kids pen is also attached) so I would have to be something I can get to from the other side of the fence.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would something like this work for you? View attachment 209019

Just an idea!
I have those inside the barn stalls and they work great, but for big pen, I don't have anywhere to attach them. That's why I was thinking the ones that are that size but clip onto a fence might be better. The only issue is that I'd need one for each goat.

·
14,730 Posts
I would get the long trough feeders and use those. That's what we use. I think we can put 4-5 adult does to a feeder. The biggest issue is you need to stand over them to make sure nobody gets kicked out, and with 10 that could be interesting. You could space them so that you are between feeders and have a broom and if anyone starts to bully or kick someone out, smack them on the back or rump with the broom and verbally/strongly say their name so they know you mean business. I don't mean smack them to hurt them, but to scare them. Our girls know their names and know we mean business when we say their name, it's kind of funny when they stop as soon as we say it lol. Otherwise if that still doesn't work you may need to tie the bullies up and feed them separately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts