Feeding suggestions for pregnant heifer.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by ockeracres, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ockeracres

ockeracres New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Newville, PA
    I have a feeding question about my heifer, Hannah. Right now she is being fed like our beefers, a "chop" with ground corn, oats, salt and minerals, and I think that's about it. Being a dairy animal I think she needs something more. She might be bred, she was with our Angus bull for a couple months. We seperated her b/c she was being bullied by the other cattle and wasn't eating much. I was thinking of putting her on an 18% calf starter that I have my young goats on, but wanted some opinions as to what others would feed her. Also what would you recommend once she calves? She is a jersey/holstein cross, more jersey then holstein. I don't need her to milk like a holstein, I planned on keeping her instead of selling her to a dairy, I don't know how she would do at a regular dairy. I thought I'd leave that calf on, I'm sure there will be plenty of milk left for us after it gets its fill. Oh, and we feed regular grass hay with some clover in it, no alfalfa. We do our own, so I don't have to pay for it.

2. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I have some experience with beef heifers. Heifers have increased need of protien and nutrients, especially if they are bred. Most beef heifers are bred at about 15 months so they will calve at 2 yrs. This is about like a 14-yr-old girl having a baby. The girl is still growing and carrying a child, so they feed requirements are quite a bit more. I would think for a dairy heifer there may even be higher requirements.

Your heifer can survive and deliver a healthy calf if just fed with the other cows, but it may keep her from developing fully and be set for the rest of her life (which could be 15 years or more). Definitely worth the extra care and feed at this early stage.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my beef heifer was fed special heifer feed.. but she was an angus.

i would think that the calf starter ( as long as its fairly high in protein and carbs) would be just fine for her.. and increase as she grows