Feeding Time

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by kelebek, Jan 1, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So this is what I go through twice a day when I am feeding. Because of the weather - we have to go into the buck pen, then go to the door inside the buckpen that leads to the girls, and pitchfork it in without letting any girls push the wheelborrow forward so that the bucks can get in.... it is nuts - but so far, only had Blingz go through to see the boys and they didn't even care she was there - LOL!

But today - for the first time - Trinity decided it would be easier just to jump on in the wheelborrow while I am trying to feed.....

[​IMG]

This is to the right of the wheelborrow if I am facing it....

[​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Lol! Looks like our feeding time!

3. jazlyn

jazlyn New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Mississippi
    Cute!!! I like your hay feeder.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    crazy times. They look quite content :greengrin:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks - DH built it for me. i am hoping to make another here next weekend for the outside area. They seem to love it very much

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sounds like fun! :roll: I too really like that hay feeder. I am going to have to build a couple of those myself for the bucks. I went and bought metal ones from tractor supply for my girls and I could probably have just made better ones like yours for a fraction of the cost.

You have the snow to deal with, my problem at the moment has been rain. It is so muddy out there that my boot got stuck in the mud and pulled off my foot. Then the does ran in front of me and I was hobbling around on one foot trying to find my boot. Did they care, not a bit. :shrug:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh I have had that happen - but then the horses come up behind me and hit me in the butt looking for treats and there goes the foot and sock in the mud - talk about ruining the day when it happens at 5:30 am

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    In the last picture, who is the white doe with the long hair in the back legs? And the black one to the left that looks like an alpine, but with flopped ears?

Just wondering if I had heard of them before :wink:

9. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    :shocked: Surprised you haven't been knocked over and suffered a concussion or something xD

10. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yep! I definitely know that feeling!!! Cute pics! :wink:

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Great pictures! My ND's jump into the wheelbarrow everytime I get it out to do anything... little twits!

How do your goats get the hay from the feeder if it's not up against the wire? I like that feeder but am just curious.

12. jazlyn

jazlyn New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Mississippi
    We need to build a few new hay feeders too. Could you post some side shots of yours. It looks like your husband did a great job! :applaud:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    your white doe in the last picture( one closest to the right) has PANTS! hahaha

14. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    aahaha.. shes does have her own pants... She must be a warm goatie!

I love the look on the little does face walking across the front in the second pic. Her face STUFFED with hay xD

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - so the first picture is:

In the back on the boys side - Lil man in the farthest back (Boer wether) and then Bucky (nubian buck(

In the wheel borrow - Trinity (nigi)
    L-R
    Boots (saanan/boer), Jewelz(nigi), Ginger(nigi)

2nd pic-
    L-R
    Dora (AlpineX), Trisha (nub), Daisie Mae (wedged in - can barely see - Pygmy), Lola (Boer/Sanaan), Blanca (nigi), Ginger(under Blanca - nigi), Blackbelly sheep ewe, Fire (nub), Dobie (nigi), Saki (wether - said pygmy - but he is a nigi or nigi cross), and Edward (wether - said pygmy - but he is a nigi or nigi cross).
    In front L-R -
    Snow (nigi - can barely see her), Boots (sanaan/Boer) and Twilight (nigi)

Piccalo - the black one with food in her mouth is Twilight - she is an unregistered Nigi

Amos - the one with long hair in the back is Saki - a wethered Nigi or cross of - he is a FAT goat! LOL! The black one is Dora, my milker - an Alpine with a hint of Nubian and Boer

Jazlyn - let me find the link of the hay feeder - I have some pics on here of them building it - but I will take more of the finished thing from the sides for ya!

Cinder - the hay naturally falls down as they pull it through the wire. The feeder is built at an angle so it "V" s at the bottom. I used a wire that is about 3" x 5" so that they have to pull the hay out and they don't waste anything like they used to.

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Here is the link to the pictures that I took of the feeder while we were building it. I will take some in the morning before I feed so you can see it up and empty to see how we have it secured....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6117&start=15

18. jazlyn

jazlyn New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thanks. That is a smart cat you've got there!

19. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Now I see it; that seems like a very usable design. I may copy it when we get our goat shed built this spring.

We have land down near Orofino, your pictures make me miss it sooo much. We almost moved there in 2000 but hubby couldn't find work anywhere. So, we stayed here and hubby has been having trouble finding work! :)

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Come on back - if need be we can work something out for the animals if you need help!! I have a second 3 acre pen.