The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently brought home 2 myotonic (fainting) goats. They are wethers that are 4.5 months old. I have no experience with goats and am following what the breeder told me to do. I currently am feeding them 1/2 bucket Chaffhaye in the am and 1/2 bucket Chaffhaye in the evening with a 1/2c grain. They also have blocked mana pro minerals and a salt block that is available at all times. They seem to get very noisy prior to feeding times and Im wondering if I can offer them anything as a free feed. They do not have anything to graze on in there pen. Can I change there diet and offer them free feed of hay? Should they have loose minerals instead of the blocks?

Help =)

thanks
Shaunna

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
:welcome:

Definitely want loose minerals instead of blocks. You can give them hay 24/7 too. I would keep the grain to half a cup.

·
1,524 Posts
Chaffhaye is great feed, but a little goes a long way. When I could afford to feed it, I was giving it to the goats as their morning roughage feed after their grain. Then they get hay for their middle feeding and hay and grain again at night for the final feeding. I have dairy goats, and work 3-11, so I have a really messed up schedule. I do 3 full sets of chores (but only milk 2 of those) at 1000, 1330 and 2330.

Definitely go with the loose minerals and pull the salt block. They are attracted to the salt in the minerals. If you feed another source of salt, they are not as apt to get enough minerals if they are taking the plain salt. Usually the mineral blocks do not contain as high a concentration of minerals as the loose does, and if they do (because some do) the goats lick their tongues raw trying to get enough from the block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts