Feeding tree cuttings for browse?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Hubby trimmed up some scrub oaks and pepper trees that we have on our property and we gave them to all the goats since we dont have any browse for them where they are pastured. We gave them quite abit for 5 goats. Is it ok to feed them all of that? I thought I read somewhere that once its wilted and dieing that it will harm a goat. I wanna make sure they will be ok over night browsing on it.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oak is fine even when wilted. It is the pitted fruit trees like Cherries and peaches that you have to watch the wilting

3. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Thanks Stacey! I dont have to worry then.... :dance: I appreciate everyones information on here. This site is great.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lucky goaties you have! Mine have to do it the other way and work for the browse, lol
    As Stacey said it's the pitted fruits that have the main concern with the wilted leaves.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    yep, we give ours all of the tree trimmings we can. mostly pepper tree and mesquite out here. they keep going back to the limbs after they eat the leaves and strip the bark and small twigs.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine love it when I just give them trimmings and they dont have to get their feet wet in the tall grass :roll:

Birch, cottonwood, spruce, Alder...they love it all.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto here .....our neighbors Almond tree Orchard.............our neighbor ... throws over the fence.. cut off tree branches ... when he has them......... the goats strip all the leaves off.. in a matter of minutes....we then throw the branch ... back over the fence in a pile .....and he disposes of them..........they do love our neighbor..... :greengrin: :thumbup: