The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well to make a long story short, we brought home a yearling doe (still drying up, we dont have a milk stand anyway)- I am working the weekend-- going in around 11am tomorrow and back Monday afternoon (however long it takes me to get some sleep after a shift that ends at 12am and then up to drive the 3 hrs back)...
So just added the 3 (they threw in the almost 6 month old wether for free)-- so now I have three 5-6month old doelings and 1 yearling doe-- does get hand fed (its half sweet feed with half COB) about 2-4 cups cups daily and we have very high quality (its all leaf as far as I can tell) grass hay out free choice and a bucket of moistened alfalfa cubes out (the mini Toggs ignored this but the new littles-- they are Oberhasli's are very interested in this) --and almost forgot the one 6 month old wether- what do I need to do different besides hold the grain? There is a baking soda and Purina all purpose goat minerals out as well...
poor mama doe (her kids were sold off but she is aunt to the the new doeling/ wether pair) is very frightened -- and is sticking to me like glue (I have a laptop and am out in the yard with her)-- she scared of our very affectionate cats--
So far so good the little mini Toggs are being very pragmatic, they are standing on top of the large dog crate next to the little magazine rack- hay feeder and eating calmly, out of reach of the new goats (dog crate is a nest box for the hens, and there is a hen laying as we speak)-- we will keep goats in the 22ft by 42 ft chicken yard over the weekend until I can get back and trouble shoot the electric netting and back goat pen (it just needs one side fence finished)...
Any suggestions would be great. Am very excited that the yearling cannot fit thru the chicken door, maybe they will get the idea to all herd together and sleep under the porch overhang in the hay laid out for them (its essentially a 3 sided shelter, the chicken yard is back of our garage and very sheltered)....There is a maple tree in the middle... suggestions/feedback would be great-- thanx in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Don't have free choice baking soda out for the wether. The girls really don't have to have it either.

You could give him ammonium chloride once a week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts