The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be getting two 8 week old Pygmy wethers later this month and I am a bit confused about feeding them. I have done a ton of research and have a lot of conflicting information. They will be allowed to graze our horse pasture and will be fed second cutting hay. I know they need free choice mineral available (not in block form) and will need some feed supplement when they can't graze. What kind of feed and mineral are recommended for wethers to reduce the chance of stones and maintain good health. I can order online, but the our go to store will be Tractor Supply. They will come vaccinated for cd&t before we get them. What else should we have on hand before they arrive? Thanks so much for any helpful advice.

·
Super Moderator
59,781 Posts
I would feed them a goat feed with ammonium chloride in it. They don't need a lot but I like to give young goats something.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Tractor Surprize usually has Purina Noble Goat, which is not the greatest feed but it is okay, and it has AC. They souldn't need much and should do good on hay and browse.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I don't like feeding my boys grain, but if they did get it, they would only get 1/4 a cup each, and it would HAVE to have ammonium chloride.

Fresh hay daily is a must, it should be the staple of their diet. Good grass hay alone may be enough for them, along with fresh water. They can have as much hay as they want.

Since wether's diet should be 2.1 to 3.1 calcium/phosphorus, my boys get 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets daily to make sure they have calcium enough to balance the phosphorus in the grass hay.

So, my boys get token alfalfa, grass hay, good minerals, and water. Tis all. :) Sounds like your boys are going to be very well cared for, you should be proud that you are doing the research beforehand. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts