The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so totally confused. I have two bucks (will be wethers in a few weeks). They are still on the bottle but I'm researching what to feed them after they are weaned. I've decided I will not feed grain, but what about alfalfa? Half of the people say no alfalfa, and the other half say it's fine. Also, how do you know if the grass hay you get is good quality? And everyone is saying to find out what your area's calcium, phosphorus, and selenium levels are....how?? Where do you go to find that out? I'm in southern Oregon btw.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Hi :wave: Oregon is deficient in copper, selenium, manganese, and iodine, pretty much every where. How much iron bacteria do you have in your water?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about our water. We just moved into this place a couple months ago. It's well water. How do I go about testing it?

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
welcome..you are in good hands with Goat hiker : )

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums. First off you live in a good area for hay. We used to get our hay from the treasure valley area. Huntington I believe and it was always the best! But it just depends from grower to grower. The easiest way to know if hay is quality is to buy from a grower that tests it. BUT you really dont need to do that. You will be more then able to determine if its quality yourself. If it spells clean, the leaf holds together and the stems arent to hard and dried. It should be relativity soft when you grab a hand full of it. Where ever you buy it just ask them to let you open a bale. Ask them if they use any manure fertilizer or allow animals to graze in the off season. If either then dont buy.

The reason you are getting information overload is because wethers are just prone to getting urinary calculi. The urinary track of a male goat is just very small and makes it much easier for them to get plugged up. And the reason you are hearing yes and no you cant feed them alfalfa is because there is always 2 drastically different opinions when it comes to goats. Its just the way it is. I have a website that gets into some good details about raising wethers. Should check it out.

http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com/howtopackgoatcare.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts