The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am very new to goats. I had two Nigerian pygmy goat wethers arrive on Friday, they boys are absolutely adorable! However there seems to be a lot of different information on them. Now I was told that wethers should not have grain On a regular basis due to UC. But that they always need loose mineral. Today I bought the only loose mineral for goat that was offered where I live. It is by Shur-grain and it is goat pre mix. On the bag it says to feed freely to the goats as well as mix it in with grain, corn,molasses ect. I just got it today and put some in there feed dish. However I did not mix it with any grains. They are also on alfalfa hay. I'm not sure if I should be mixing like the bag says or if I can just feed it freely for my goats! Please let me know what you do! Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ok so someone else with have to give you better info. But I'll run it down best I can

Urinary calculi is typical cause by an imbalanced of calcium and phosphorus in the diet, usually being the calcium is to high.

Alfalfa is high in calcium I believe, and an orchard grass would possibly be better

Grain is not typically needed for any goat though it can help with growing meat goats, and providing nutrition to pregnant, nursing, or under nourished goats. Some grains do have small amounts of ammonia chloride added to them to help prevent urinary calculi. That choice is yours.

If you are planning to keep wethers as pets yes a grass hay should be fine and a good loose mineral.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
From what I have learned here, it was believed to be too much calcium that is the culprit for UC, but now it is belived that it is too much phosphorus causing it. But basically imbalance, as @CCCSAW says. The ratio of the total of all the feed and mineral given should be around 2:1 calcium to phosphorus.
Alfalfa is high in calcium, grass hay and grain has more phosphorus.
So, you have to look at the calcium/phosphorus ratio for everything you feed and do the math.
Being from Canada like you, I couldn't find any of the recommended mineral choices people on this forum like for their goats. I had help choosing a good cattle mineral that is available here. Apparently the ones labeled for goats aren't always good.
Can you take a picture of the analysis on the bag of your minerals and post it? Maybe some of the experts can then tell you if you found a good one! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone! I sent a photo of the minerals I bought to the lady I got my goats from and she said that it was good for them she also told me when I got them not to feed a lot of grain at all so I'm assuming free feed it wjat I should be doing

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
I finally see it. Those numbers are way off. Copper is only 600 and zinc is 3600. It says right on the label it is a feed. This is not a mineral. It is a feed additive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I had wethers, I had them on grain. I fed them grain every other day. They were also on grass and hay. I also mixed loose mineral in with their grain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts