The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Boer experts, my 4-H leader (who is into sheep) has two Boer % goats she wants to get rid of. I told her I would take the doe (not the wether) if she was in good health and had fairly good conformation. I plan on using her for showmanship sometimes, and showing her for 4-H. I'll be taking her on goatie dates when the time comes for that :)

Anyways, I haven't seen them up close, just from her house while we were at a meeting, and, well.. they look slim.. Not too skinny, but not how I know they should look like. I don't know their exact age, but they are under a year I would guess.

What would you guys feed a young Boer % doe to get some weight and some nice muscle on her? The closest show isn't till April/June, but never to early to start, right? :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have fullblood boer does I am getting ready to show in october. I have them on Purina Goat Chow, Essential Show Doe feed, and show bloom. Along with alfalfa anytime they want. This is what the breeder put them on and they have done excellent at shows

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many pounds of feed do you guys usually feed each goat?

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I agree with the above! I think calf manna is great and really puts and holds the weight on. ;)

We use Champion Drive show sup. from Honor Show Chow right now as well as CM and a 16% grain. Champion D. is not cheap but most farm stores sell it. At least here in WA they do! There are all kinds of show sups from HSC that are close to Champion Drive, but we've found that to be the most effective. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! :) I am going to call my 4-H leader tomorrow and see if I can go out and look at them both. I think we may take both now, my neighbor wants the wether to eat some star thistle. He also has a Spanish buckling that is pure black with blue eyes that he said I can use to breed her to when she is old enough! I am excited! :D

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Essential Show Doe feed, like what was mentioned above, is hard to beat. It's 16% protein and with 6% fat. Top dressed with a little BigV Supremo Supercharge and they condition out nice for show.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
What brand is the supercharge?
BigV..It's like Calf Manna but only about $20 for a 50lb bag

SUPREMO SUPER CHARGER
For All Animals.
A palatable natural supplement formulated to improve the balance of protein, vitamins and minerals in complete feeds and feed mixes.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, min................................................................32.00%
Lysine, min...............................................................................1.75%
Methionine, min.........................................................................0.40%

Crude Fat, min........................................................................5.00%
Crude Fiber, max....................................................................6.50%
Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF). max......................................... 9.75%
Calcium (Ca), min....................................................................1.25%
Calcium (Ca), max...................................................................1.75%
Phosphorus (P), min.................................................................1.00%
Potassium (K), min.......…........................................................1.00%
Copper (Cu), min...............................................................60.00 ppm
Copper (Cu), max..............................................................80.00 ppm

Selenium, min.......................................................................0.60 ppm
Zinc (Zn), min...................................................................200.00 ppm
Vitamin A, min.....................................….....................30,000 IU/LB.
Vitamin D3, min.....................................….....................4,000 IU/LB.
Vitamin E, min......................................................................60 IU/LB.
Vitamin B12, min..........................................................1.00 MCG/LB

Biotin, min....................................................................250 MCG/LB.
Pantothenic Acid, min........................................................10 MG/LB.
Choline, min.................................................................1,100 MG/LB.
Riboflavin, min.................................................................115 MG/LB.

INGREDIENTS:
Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Yellow Corn Meal, Molasses Product, Soybean Oil, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium/Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Whey, Dried Skimmed Milk, Dried Whey Protein Concentrate, Yeast Culture, Biotin, Dried Citric Acid Presscake, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Methionine Complex, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Methionine Complex, Copper Sulfate, Copper Lysine Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Anise Flavoring, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Cremoris Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Diacetilactis Fermentation Product, Dried B-Subtillis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Brewers Yeast, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Sodium Selenium, Folic Acid Suppleme

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We might go to the feed store today to get some chicken food so I will check out what they have there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts