The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our two girls last weekend, and the people we got them from said to feed them 2 scoops (a horse feed scoop) of feed each. Also told me to let them eat whatever they would in 15 min. I have had to cut back to 1/2 scoop ea cause they are not eating it all. One of my does is in milk and the other isn't. Any ideas on how much i should be feeding them? They aren't eating much grass hay, either. I do give them a small amount of alfalfa every other day and thy clean that up. I feel like my doe that is in milk is loosing weight and I am getting worried about her. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/feeding.htm
There is a chart for feeding lower on the page. Don't change your goats feeding too quickly if you do decide to change it, change it slowly over a week or two if you're increasing, decreasing, or just changing type of food. I also give new goats pro-biotics a couple of days to help with the fast changes they've just gone through. Even though I'm new to goats, that seems to help the ones that I've brought home.

Did the goats get wormed when you brought them home?
Do a fecal test, see if they need it but most goats need to be wormed when changing homes. The stress of moving allows the worms to take over. That could be why your milker looks to be losing weight.

It takes goats a while sometimes to transition to a new home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts