Feeling down (UPDATED with more ?'s)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm just feeling really down, I've spent the last few months really looking forward to Hope's kidding, and it definitely looks like it's not going to happen. I'm disappointed a little about drying her off so soon too, but she really needed it anyways, being as skinny as she was when I got her. I held out a tiny bit of hope she was still bred, but I was at a friend's house yesterday and they have a bred Boer doe, and the difference was obvious. :(

Then today, the evil bugger BIT me! Good and hard too. She's never done that before. I could think of a few reasons, one of which is I didn't have time to take them out to forage today, and I was petting Uno and she was being persistent in getting my attention.

But maybe that was a sign of heat? I've never noticed any heats signs before, which confuses me, because I'm usually pretty good at picking up on that. Her pooch was a little more puffy than usual, but not much. Uno never shows any manly interest in her at all either. But could her nasty temper be a sign of heat? I would mention all the yelling she did when I left too, but honestly they both are always yelling at me, to the point you'd think someone would call the ASPCA and tell them I'm butchering goats alive over here. :shocked:

Anyways, I contacted the lady I bought them from, asking if she had, or was planning on having, any more bucklings. I hope she replies. For now that's the only choice I have, as 99% of goats around here are Boers. I may run across some kind of grade pygmy buck if I'm lucky, which I could use to get some kids for the freezer I suppose. :shrug:

Thanks for listening to me complain. :tears:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Feeling down (And ? about heat behavior)

Personally,

I wouldn't worry yourself. Some goats just really are not obvious about their heats - which I think I own many of them in the US - LOL!

I also would not breed her to a boer. I think that the babies woul be to big for her and you would be asking for trouble. Just my opinion though.

Cheer u - you are getting into great condition to become pregnant if she is not already!

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Oh don't worry, there's no way I'd breed her to a larger buck, especially a Boer. I was just mentioning that that's all that's available most of the time around here, so its going to be difficult to find a buck. The Boer buck my friend has is HUGE (and in rut so he looks scary! Gorgeous though.) even her Boer doe is so much larger. No, I will either wait until I can get the Nigerian buck I want, or if I come across a pygmy buck I may use it for one breeding.

I'm not too mad at her for biting the heck out of me anymore, she probably was just really wanting my attention, I usually go out several times a day and today only had time for twice. Or maybe she is/was in heat, for which I can forgive her for too. :roll:

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

Cheer up!!!! you can try to breed her again and get those babies! I hope you can find a buck around there-I'll keep a look out when I'm surfing the web-Do they have to be registered? Yellow Rose in Texas has some and Houston craigslist has a brown pygmy buck for $50-says that he has the looks and the attitude of becoming someones herd sire, or someones best friend, or both! he is VERY sweet and he craves attention! i believe he was bottle fed as a baby, or he got lots of attention because he is VERY sweet!!!
    he is a very young and striking pygmy buck!
    he can be fixed with no extra cost if he is only to be used as a pet!
    he is NOT to be used for meat!!!
    he is very sweet and is gorgeous!!! what else COULD you ask for in a buck??? especially one this cheap! he won't last long with his markings and attitude! get him before hes gone!
    my friends name is Sarah...
    her number is 817-368-2958

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

The buck I want to get eventually and planned on next year will be registered, but for now, I don't mind picking up a grade buck, Nigi or pygmy. Houston is a bit far to go for poor Hubby, he already wasn't too pleased to hear I wanted to pick up a buck so soon! Gotta tread lightly for a bit, but I'll get one, either a find in our area or if I have to, wait till next year and get a registered Nigerian. I'm still hoping the lady I bought them from will contact me back, I hope she didn't get out of goats.

EDITED TO ADD:

Argh! The farm I actually planned on buying a buckling from next year has one posted very low on Houston!
    http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/807872903.html
    I am seeing if they ever come out this way, its more than hubby wants me to spend right now but he's a registered buck! We wouldn't have to buy another one.

And then there's this one, a cutie, but I don't know if they'll meet us anywhere, he's kind of far.
    http://collegestation.craigslist.org/grd/849390982.html

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Don't let this get you down too much....she is a healthy girl with all the TLC you have given her.

The 2nd link with the "pygmy" buck...he is really nice looking but he isn't 100% pygmy...too much white on him to be pure blood..I'd say theres a bit of nigi in him. The registered buckling would be the way to go...and he has great lines!

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

Don't worry about it if she's not bred. That means you can choose the buck to. I'll keep my eye out and search in some of my extra time.

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Husband isn't too on board with spending that much and traveling that for the registered buck, he reminded me I said we weren't going to get one until next year.

But the lady with the pygmy/nigi buck is willing to come to College Station, and he's only $50 and I do have that much from selling one of my ball pythons recently . . . he can always be sold next year, and I like the way he looks and he'd make some cute babies I think. Thankfully there's a good market in the area for miniature goats, because there aren't very many here. Not a very lucrative market obviously, but they always find homes.

Is it okay to keep a buck with a doe and wether until she is close to kidding? I could put up another pen then for him and the wether so he won't be alone. I know this will make it more difficult to know an exact due date, but with her barely noticeable heats, this will make it easier for him to get her at the right date.

I know I should be breeding for better quality but I'm more interested in the milk and frankly I may butcher the kids, bucklings anyways, I may keep doelings. I don't really plan on selling goats much, I really just want meat and milk for my family. Is that bad?

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If your not going to show and you are only using them for meat and milk ( which is completely ok) then the pygmy buck would be fine and confirmation isn't as important. If you are wanting to show you may want to wait and get a nice registered nigi w/ good confirmation. You can always get a new buck if you change your mind later.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if I am remembering correctlly your doe is not registered so purchasing a registered buck is of no use to you right now. You cant register kids out of her even if she is bred to a registered buck.

Yes you can run the buck with teh doe until she is about to kid, that is no big deal.

But beware that if you get the buck now you may have kids as early as mid February. Good chance she was in heat so that would bring it to mid March kidding BRRRRR

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes, you're correct, Hope isn't registered. I was hoping to buy some registered does later on, but as I look closer, I really am only wanting meat and milk, and not too interested in getting into showing just yet. Maybe in the future sometimes.

As for the weather, by March it's usually nice and warm here! :greengrin: We almost never get REALLY cold. Now hot...that's another story. :wink:

So I may just be coming home with this pygmy mix come Wednesday. I will keep you updated!

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Make sure you post pics if you get him!

13. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i was just gonna say
    NJ and Tx are alot diff Stacy
    lol
    tho i live in NY and i plan on march babies so they are old enough when fair comes around
    (i dont like taking them to fair much younger than 4 months)

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sorry. I think you need a :hug: Better yet a :grouphug: from all us.

Do you know for 100% sure the Hope is not pregnant? If she is not pregnant, they she just needed the time a TLC that you have given her to get back where she will be able to carry very beautiful healthy babies to give you. It all works out for a reason.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont always remember where people are from when posting.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I too am sorry to hear that she is not bred. . . . Hope it works out for you to get the pygmy mix buck! If you just want milk and meat, then that would work fine. I wish that Nigi buck were closer to us! He looks nice and that's cheap for a Nigerian! :) Guess it's a good thing they aren't closer! ;)

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh don't worry, you'll probably get tired of all the pictures! :greengrin:

Thank you for the :hug: sweetgoats. I really love this forum. :grouphug:
    And you're right, this did give me time to get her glowing with health. I think she looks just great.

There is still a very slim chance that Hope is carrying a tiny baby in there, but its becoming more and more unlikely as each day passes. If she does happen to kid, that would just be an awesome bonus!

It looks like Wednesday I'll be posting pictures of this new guy, the lady is coming into the city and I convinced hubby it was worth it. :wink:

It seems like a win-win to me, I really like the way he looks and for that price how can I say no?

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Too tired of pictures??!! NEVER! Thats great that you can get the pygmy cross...you'll get some pretty kids AND be able to have your milk and meat...nothin' wrong with that! Please post a pic of him when you get him home...he does look as though he'll throw some stockycolorful kids.

As was said...it would be unpedictable with not having an exact due date, but your chances will be better, especially as she's not been to blatant about her heats...just be sure you have an area by herself for kidding and rearing....and be sure she is getting her share of food...most bucks can be bullies when it comes to the food :wink:

Can't wait to see him :hug:

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That would be so awesome if she did have a little kid in there! You never know, I guess. . . . :) Please put pics when you get him, it's kinda hard for me to tell what he looks like from the ad but he looks really good. :D

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    He's definitely good looking from what I can see! I LOVE black and white goats, especially the way he looks. Don't you worry, there will be pics of him as soon as I get him home.

I'll make certain the feed is shared equally, I've taught Hope and Uno to eat from their own tubs, and I'm sure he'll catch on soon enough. When she gets close to kidding, he and Uno will go into a seperate enclosure which we will put up, hopefully one we can move around so we can get some of this brush cleared up! I also have a kennel that was converted into a sort of stall I can put her in when the time comes so she can be safe.

Look out for a post on the Mini forum come Wednesday. :)