Feeling for babies

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by shanzone2001, Nov 23, 2009.

1. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I am trying to feel for babies. My 2 NG does have been with me for almost 3 months and if they were bred before they came to me (they were housed with a proven buck), they should be moving along in their pregnancies. I do not have before pictures to compare growth, but one seems to be much larger than the other and they were the same size when I bought them. The smaller one had discharge yesterday so something must be going on. They are not friendly and have horns, so trying to feel for babies was a huge tackle/fight. Their sides felt very hard, and not much of an udder going on. However, I have read that may happen right before kidding. Help!!! I want little kiddos sooooo bad!
    Shannon
    :?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a discharge can happen because they are loosing their plug or just because -- hows that for an answer :wink:

If they arent friendly I wouldnt stress them out by trying to feel for babies.

If you do get the chance to feel for kids - you want to push up directly in front of the udder and to the right a little.

Sometimes you can get lucky and feel them on their right side or if they are real far along and with some does you can feel kids on the left but thats more rare due to the rumen taking up most of the space on the left side.

as for their size difference -- one maybe further along then the other or one maybe carrying a single vs twins or triplets. Also each goats size depends on their body. I have does who carry down and others who carry out. You will learn your particular goat after a couple kiddings :greengrin:

3. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks!!! I am just so impatient! I want to know if they are pregnant, when they will deliver, and what they will have!!! I was this way with my 2 children- like a child waiting for Santa to come!!! :wink:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha then you havent read the does code of honor? I will have to find it for you
    it only gets worse

5. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I just googled it!!! Oh my gosh...so funny :hair: !!!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its like they are saying MUAHAHAHAHA at you :slapfloor:

7. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I think my girls are saying things to me that I am not allowed to post!!! :ROFL:

8. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    I like that Does code of Honor! It is the truth! I think Saldana is doing exactly what it says.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have found that even with skittish does, like my FF Bailey....having a milk stand and a feed dish makes it easier to check a baby belly. She is just about 9 weeks bred and getting her grain ration on the stand, while she eats I scratch her or brush her, gentling her to my touch, I know I won't feel kid movement for another 3 weeks so I haven't touched her belly yet....the brushing/attention she's getting now will prepare her for when I do feel for babies.

One on one with each doe and a bit of food will do wonders for their jumpiness.