The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kinder doe gave birth to what I thought was a girl last Wednesday, but today it was confirmed she is a he... I'm chalking this up to being a complete newbie..... somehow doesn't make me feel much better....:-/

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the encouraging words...:)

I have one that I'm hoping she will kid soon, so perhaps I'll be correct with her kid/or kids...

·
1,524 Posts
Yup, been there, dunit. Now, since my barn tends to be a bit dark, I life the kids at birth and look very closely for dangly things under the body or a poochy thing under the tail!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
It isn't that big of a problem! Every once in a while, I have to actually feel jewels before I accept the gender ;) Takes a while, trust me.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
lol, makes me feel good here :) I was bad too this year, no clue how. Looked like a girl when it was born then 2 day later when they were jumping around I was confused where the little boy came from......I have never admitted that to anyone before now

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My kinder doe gave birth to what I thought was a girl last Wednesday, but today it was confirmed she is a he... I'm chalking this up to being a complete newbie..... somehow doesn't make me feel much better....:-/
Don't feel dumb, it's happened to a lot of goat owners. I've recorded kids as being male or female only to discover that they were the opposite of what I had them down as. :confused: Sometimes I would almost swear kids can change spontaneously change sexes just to confuse us and have a good laugh at our expense. :rolleyes: :laugh:

·
Registered
401 Posts
My grandparents have raised all kinds of livestock for forever, the first year i had goats i had a doe give birth at there place, and she told me it was a buckling and a doeling and when i brought them home i probably checked both 20+ times and they were both does. I called her and she swore up and down one was a buck, but when she came over she checked again and they were both does clear as day. I felt so dumb i probably spent 30 min checking them over and over haha. So dont feel to bad. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts