The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to say how good it feels to finally be getting a milking routine down and getting the milk taken care of! I actually feel pretty good about my accomplishments with this difficult doe's(as some of you know Heidi's issues) milk considering I have only had goats for a year and a half and no one else in my family farms at all. :cool: I don't know why I started, I just always wanted to have farm animals.My grandparents farmed but that was wayyy before me, and I had one uncle who did but we lived so far away from him we rarely saw him.

That is why this forum is so great...for people like me who have no background in it.I have learned SOOO much in the last year and a half! :eek:

My DH is supportive but it's really all me that has a passion for it, so if I weren't here, the animals wouldn't be either. ;) He could just as easily live without them.

Now I don't ever wanna run out of goat's milk! :p

How many of you are "breaking the trends" by farming without growing up with it?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I'm the oddball that got into goats and chickens and wants to live out in a rural area. My family doesn't understand but I have learned to live with that and usually don't bother telling them anything about it.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean, I try to keep stifled about the animals but it's hard! Although my mother lives on my property and she always loves to see all the baby chicks,poults,ducks, rabbits and kids ;) She worries about them though and drives me crazy with it because she knows nothing about caring for them. (she'll see a chicken sunbathing and yell to me "Oh no....is it alright?. She did that one day to me with Daisy Mae and gave me a heart attack!)LOL...

If I had my way, I'd have a hundred acres and live smack in the middle of it.My 3 other siblings are city people :sick:

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
We used to have cows and chickens when I was a kid. This farm had not seen livestock on it for a good 12 years. I moved back in to the old homestead to help with my dying dad, back in 2005, and after he died I didn't have the heart to leave my mom. There was a lot of talk about selling the place... However that didn't happen since we are still here. So in Feb 2012 I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, the doctors advice to me was to stay active. Got me thinking about getting cows again, but I can't drink cows milk, so we have a ton of blackberry bushes, 7+ acres, so I'm getting 2 goats... Well a year later I now have a total of 8 goats, 4 does, 2 wethers @ 2 bucks 2 sheep and 8 chickens, and yes dogs;) I have learned a ton about goats through this forum, and I am very grateful for this site:) Trust me cows and goat care are sooooo different. Thanks to all those who have helped me along the way:)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Speaking of routine... is it just me or does it drive anyone else nutz having different sized flakes of hay? I count flakes as I feed and it total messes with me when I pull a flake that is say 1 1/2 the normal size or if you get a bale of hay that the flakes are all big and then I have to tear em apart to fill feeder space :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts