The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
Ahhh so sorry you lost power!! That is the worst in this weather. Thankfully we didn't. But we had to haul hot water constantly out to the pens which are a good 200+ feet from the house. That wasn't fun, but they had water. Glad everyone made it through safely!!

And Murphy is looking good!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ahhh so sorry you lost power!! That is the worst in this weather. Thankfully we didn't. But we had to haul hot water constantly out to the pens which are a good 200+ feet from the house. That wasn't fun, but they had water. Glad everyone made it through safely!!

And Murphy is looking good!
That's a lot of water hauling!! And water is so freaking heavy, lol. I forget how heavy it is until I have to lug it around.

I've been hauling water buckets too, but I ended up backing down to two trips a day because mine guys all kept refusing the water. I was worried at first and kept trying to coax them to drink, wondering why they didn't seem interested. Then I caught them eating snow! Lol. Guess they weren't thirsty because they'd already had plenty of water.

I think they learned it from my horse. He's a clever boy.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
Haha I saw some of mine eating snow too lol. My sheep are not going through near as much. The cow...a lot. I already need to go back out and fill hers. The girls...ehhh it depends.

But, it just started snowing lightly again! Ugh!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Maybe your sheepies know about the snow eating trick!

Wow, more snow?! We’re expecting more too, in a couple days, but by then it should be too warm for it to stick.

I’ve enjoyed the snow, tbh. I lived in Utah for a little bit when I was a kid, and we used to go skiing, and skating on the pond behind our house, and we played in the snow a lot... it was really fun. So I have fond memories of snow and ice.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is it me, or do does seem to look very pregnant some days, and then not very pregnant on other days? I keep looking at these two and thinking, “Yep, both DEFINITELY bred successfully,” and then the next day I’m looking and thinking, “well... maybe not?”

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Happy birthday to your daughter!
Glad to hear the girls are doing well!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I finally got some pictures!! I've been bringing both girls in every few days or so for a handful of grain and some milk stand training. Mika, who is usually the super timid one who's wary of everything, jumps straight up no problem. Suki on the other hand is resisting so much I decided to put off her training until after kidding, as I'm worried about stressing her. She literally lies down in protest when I try to guide her up there, lol! Goats are so silly.

So anyway, here they are having a treat - it was the perfect opportunity for some quick pics. Except Mika was standing so weird. She gets super awkward with her legs when she's on the stand, like she's afraid she'll fall off, lol.

Here is miss Mika's tiny udder, her huge belly, and her backside. I swear this girl is twice as wide as she was a week ago!

0B99887F-A62D-447E-A501-F40CC086F284.jpeg
9A836BDF-B42E-48E2-8206-E583C18CD9D8.jpeg
48F1B22C-1A4D-48A3-8DA0-E3BE360CB679.jpeg

And here is little Suki's udder for comparison. They're still fluffy so you can't tell as much from the pictures as I thought you'd be able to. But just for the heck of it I thought I'd post it anyway.

02652998-AE28-4E20-98D2-1B580E98CAB1.jpeg

I guess you can sort of tell a little bit.

Looks like one of Mika's teats is bigger than the other one. Maybe they'll even out a bit later?

Also, their coats look a little bit rough to me. Any ideas? They get Purina Wind and Rain free choice and I've been giving them Replamin about every two weeks. Maybe I should give Replamin more frequently for a bit? Once or twice a week maybe until they kid? Just thinking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to do everything I can to help them be ready for kidding.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh!!! I almost forgot, I finally felt baby movement in Suki today. Yay! It’s nice to know for sure that there’s really something alive in there and she’s not just getting wide, haha.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Oh!!! I almost forgot, I finally felt baby movement in Suki today. Yay! It's nice to know for sure that there's really something alive in there and she's not just getting wide, haha.
Oh that is the most fun sign of pregnancy in my opinion. After I saw that on my girls it all felt more legitimate and easier to wait! They are actually alive in there!

Those little udders are adorable. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Quick question - I got some unwaxed dental floss because I saw it on several kidding supply lists, but I’ve not used it before and honestly I wasn’t sure what it was for, except that it had something to do with umbilical cords.

So I’ve been looking into it today, and I guess people use it to tie a bleeding cord, but it looks like a lot of people don’t recommend using it at all. What are your thoughts? If anyone can give me some advice here I’d appreciate it! Should I keep it in my kidding kit? Replace it with something else?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh that is the most fun sign of pregnancy in my opinion. After I saw that on my girls it all felt more legitimate and easier to wait! They are actually alive in there!

Those little udders are adorable. :)
Thanks MellonFriend! So excited for you and Prim - all the kidding going on here on the forum is making me really eager for my twins to release their hostages!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The girls are doing well. I did some work on their pen fence yesterday, and they were following me around being all cute and curious, and inspecting my work. Lol

This evening I’m putting a kidding supply kit together. Am I missing anything crucial?

I have:
Iodine, plus a plastic cup for dipping
Towels
Mineral oil for lubricant
Penicillin and dosage instructions, in case I have to put a hand inside someone to help
A pack of 1” needles, and fresh syringes
70% alcohol and some gauze (I seem to be out of cotton balls)
Molasses
Dewormer for mamas
Dental floss (still need to know how to use that)
Scissors for cutting long cords
Powdered colostrum supplement
Replamin
Vet’s phone number
Thermometer
Vitamin B complex and dosage instructions
Bulb aspiration
Garlic
Bottle and nipples

I also have some Banamine leftover from my recent horse emergency, and some Metacam from a chicken emergency that hasn’t expired yet. I believe these are sometimes given to goats for pain - does anyone here have any experience with either of those?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Selenium and VitE gel for the babies?
A scale

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Selenium and VitE gel for the babies?
A scale
Thanks MadHouse! I have a human scale I could use if someone needs their weight watched - that should work.

As for selenium and vitamin E, I was planning on using the Replamin Plus gel I already have. That has selenium, vitamin E, plus a bunch of other vitamins and minerals, so I figured that would do. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Quick question - I got some unwaxed dental floss because I saw it on several kidding supply lists, but I've not used it before and honestly I wasn't sure what it was for, except that it had something to do with umbilical cords.

So I've been looking into it today, and I guess people use it to tie a bleeding cord, but it looks like a lot of people don't recommend using it at all. What are your thoughts? If anyone can give me some advice here I'd appreciate it! Should I keep it in my kidding kit? Replace it with something else?
I have not tied or cut an umbilical cord. Just dipped. But I only had two kiddings. I read you only need to cut it if it touches the ground.
Maybe someone else more experienced will chime in.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Thanks MadHouse! I have a human scale I could use if someone needs their weight watched - that should work.

As for selenium and vitamin E, I was planning on using the Replamin Plus gel I already have. That has selenium, vitamin E, plus a bunch of other vitamins and minerals, so I figured that would do. What do you think?
I don't know!
Maybe @GoofyGoat or @happybleats can tell you.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts