Felony "Animal Cruelty"

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Damfino, Nov 14, 2020.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thread is cleaned up and taken care of.

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Seriously...?? *sigh*

Just so y'all know, I wasn't offended however much I might've disagreed, and I started this thread. Oh well.

AlabamaGirl likes this.

3. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Looks like my stuff is gone, too. Sorry if I did something I wasn’t supposed to. I’m still figuring out the forum and I might not know all the protocols yet.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  4. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Active Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    You didn't do anything wrong?
    I found it enjoyable, things calmed down quite a bit towards the end IMO.

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Excellent, I've been watching for a source for a well bred Doberman. Now that my Fila is about at the end of her life I plan to fulfill a childhood dream. The first dog in my life was the neighbor's doberman and I've wanted one ever since.

CountyLineAcres and AlabamaGirl like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad things were taken care of.

Hate to lock down this thread.

7. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    One of the things Ive learned is knowing laws helps in these situations. Each state/county/city has such different protocols. That said, dealing with prey animals vs predatory animals. So I generally take on the protector role with them.

Pitbulls by general build give them an edge on your average dog. Their mouths and body builds are designed for the kind of attacks they do.

Suing them for damages is a way to go, but with so many different laws so many topics come into play here.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  8. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Go for it! We breed Dobermans, and they are absolutely excellent animals. Since they are extremely intelligent and high energy, I recommend them only for dog owners that know how to mentally and physically stimulate a dog. Most Dobermans don’t want to laze around all day. They want to run and play. They most importantly want to make their owner proud! They are not called Velcro Dogs for no reason lol. Dobermans also excel in obedience and love every minute of it. Every obedience, rally, and trick class I’ve been in, Dobermans are at the top of the class!

Dobermans are the biggest, goofiest sweethearts. There are working lines that excel in IPO, shutzhund, policing, etc but it is not hard to find breeders that specialize in family pets. They’ve been doing it for decades, and they’ve perfected an amazing family dog.

9. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    In your experience, are they ok for people with long work hours (10-11 hrs.)?

10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    My brother has always had Dobies, usually rescues, and has had great luck with them as pets. He lives alone, so he walks the dogs several times a day and also plays with them in his fenced in back yard. I had one years ago, a retired police dog. He was very protective but adored the family.

Each state and town has their own set of laws and ordinances for animals. In some states, shooting, but not killing, and animal is a crime, no matter the circumstances behind the shot. I'm not looking to condemn, or defend anyone, I'm just stating facts. I am an animal control officer for a local town (state certified) and in my state, shooting and just injuring a domestic animal can be considered abuse. Mostly the decision to charge rests on a particular district attorneys agenda and what is popular in the community at any given time.

I have Alaskan Malamutes, extremely prey driven by nature. I have had them for many, many years. They are in a large pen made of cattle panels with electric fence jumped from the horse and goat areas along the top of the fence. They hit that once and stay away forever. No doubt in my mind that they would attack and kill my goats and chickens. I have a rescue dog, Golden retriever x St Bernard cross, who is a major predator. He is either on a leash or in a fenced in dog yard to protect my critters.

I live in a rather built up area ( wasn't a few years ago!) so I can never use a gun. Instead, I use firecrackers to scare dogs away. My Pyrenees does great keeping animal predators away, and even humans, but I sometimes needs extra and that's when I use firecrackers.

As an ACO of many, many years, I have yet to have to handle a Pit Bull attack on a human or livestock, even though that breed is one of the more common breeds. (Against cats, though? Absolutely). Labrador and Golden Retrievers and their crosses have the highest number of bites, followed by small breeds, non- Pittie Terriers, Chihuahuas and such.

11. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Honestly, I think that’s a long time for any dog to be in a kennel or hold their bladder. It would depend on your setup. I would say it’s not ideal.

12. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    Not in a kennel, he/she would have access to a well fenced backyard or most of the house to roam.

CountyLineAcres and Kass like this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not a good idea for any dog to be penned that long.
    The dog will go stir crazy.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  14. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    That's a shame, I'll stick with cats, wouldn't want the dogs to get too lonely.

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I have to say that I have seen equally as bad "Family dogs" golden retrievers, labs, beagles, etc. They are under trained and under stimulated. Inexperienced owners get them then dont bother to train them. Let them roam and then they get into trouble. Any breed with the wrong owner can become a problem. Every breed needs stimulation and most dogs in the US are under stimulated which leads to these problem dogs.

17. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    Sad really, I hear lots of dog breeds get turned to the pound because they are more than people can handle, that's what really keeps me from getting one. 50 or more hours per week wouldn't be good for a dog apparently, and I don't want them getting into trouble, howling all the time or getting too lonely.

Iluvlilly! and Damfino like this.
  18. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    You are smart for thinking of that. A dog is a commitment. Unless you can bring your dog to work with you being alone is just not ideal

19. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Rescuing an older dog that is less needy can work and with a dog door to a secure yard, they could be quite happy. A couple of medium sized dogs rather than one large one would provide entertainment.

AlabamaGirl, Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.
  20. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    DO.IT!

My auntie and unk had always had a doby. They were the most gentle loving but fierce creatures. Such beautiful dogs. Anyone could come to their house and the dogs were fine but if unk said shoe it was game on. Shoe meant it was a no no person and the dog would be in guard mode until unk said sock. It was nuts!

AlabamaGirl, Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.