fencing questions and what do you use/would use

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Aug 15, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK, I went to my great grandmothers property yesterday just to check it out and see what was there. There is 13 acres of virgin timber with a small, 2 acre clearing near the road and bordering a field of soybeans. I would like to fence this small 2 acre clearing off and allow a few(4) goats to clear it of the blackberries, boysenberries, scrub brush, and other weeds. There are only a few saplings growing in the clearing. This property is also an hour and a half away from my home so I wouldn't be there full time. I would have an LGD there to take care of things in my absence. There are neighbors I might be able to enlist for help also.

What fencing options do I have and still stay within some sort of budget? IF barbed wire, what gage do I use. I figure I will take no more than 4 or 5 goats at a time. Nothing will be done immediately but probably within the next 5 years. I am hoping my present and future goats will pay the majority of the cost of fencing, LGD, and shelter by then. Nothing has been done to this particular piece of property in well over 100 years.
  2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i would not use barbed wire, stick with 4-5' high (or lower depending on size). or goat/hog panels.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Is this the woven wire fencing/field fence?
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...though welded wire is not as strong a gauge and it will rust as well as "give" in the spots the goats rub and stand on. Field fence is stronger and will last a good while...the panels are more expensive but will last forever.....I personally would never use barbed wire for goats.
  5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thank you both for your replies. I will start buying rolls of field fence soon. Hopefully by the time I get ready to fence this area in, the goats will have paid for everything. I still have to get a LGD and get it trained. Its a good thing this is not an immediate venture.
  6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I use cattle panels, horse wire, and field fence. cattle panels are easy to put up and take down, but babies can get through it
  7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We've been using Oklahoma brand field fencing...VERY strong, but flexible, sturdy, durable, about 5 ft high. Pretty much the best goat fencing i've ever tried. Here's their link to the fencing we have: http://www.okbrandwire.com/max-tight-horse-fence.htm You just need sturdy poles. Anywho...good luck with you new pasture!!!
  8. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    If you dont want to go broke either field fencing or Combo panels.
    Field fencing is cheapest but you need T-post very close together or it will sag if goats jump on it to much. The T=post will run up the cost.

Combo panels will last forever and dont need closely spaced poles but they cost more than field fencing.

Both, in the end would probably come out to almost the same cost when all is added up.

We use both.

For kids, we found even field fencing small kids can get through. We buy a baby saver fencing thats like field but a little higher gauge and very small hole spacing. Its shorter but we use it in combo with other fencing. I would rather layer a fence than loose a kid.