Fencing

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    As you guys know, we're buying a house sitting on three acres.

Well, its not fenced, and I'm concerned. I just spent about an hour looking over fencing options and I feel overwhelmed!

I really want to fence the whole property, but I don't think that's going to be cost effective in any way. Maybe barb wire perimeter fence might be, but otherwise . . .

It's looking like we may have to start out with smaller pens at first, and maybe expand as we go.

How many feet apart should the posts be, using field fencing?

Does anyone know the average cost of field fencing per acre and/or how much feet of fencing and how many posts per acre?

Any other cost effective tips?

Thanks!

(I would prefer not to go electric, if possible, except for perhaps a strand around the inside of the fencing to keep them off the wire fence. Also, my buck pen will be made from stock panels, cause bucks can never have strong enough fencing!)

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I know what you mean about the expense of fencing......we just fenced in another area for our guys and want to do an even bigger area, but have to wait for more funds! I'm thinking DH put our fence post every 6ft. Another thing about saving money on fencing, look on craigslist and also if you have auctions in your area.......we have been able to get fencing, post, gates at auctions. We went to one auction and bought some fencing cheap, the kicker was DH and our neighbor had to go out to the place and take it all down.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for does and kids you can get away with posts every 8 feet but for the bucks I would us posts every 6 feet as they are more destructive.

4. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    We just did about 2 acres here. We spaced every 6 feet for the t-posts and in the corners we used the wooden posts set in concrete. We also put wooden posts set in concrete at the halfway point along each of the sides. Total cost was just a tad over $1000. (we watched for sales on everything).

A hint if you have a tractor with a bucket. Hubby cut a stick to length, and we used the bucket on the tractor to push the t-post down into the ground. I held the stick along side the post after he stepped it in, he centered the bucket over the post the and let weight of the bucket do the work, and I'd nod when it was down far enough. It worked great and was much faster than driving them by hand. We drove something like 75 posts in an hour and a half!

5. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    We use woven wire 330' cost about 250$ We used locust posts (sunk about 3 feet in) every 12 feet for the girls and every 10 feet for the boys. We have yet to have a problem and they are all pretty hard on the fence (lots of rubbing and standing to reach leaves and such) the locust posts were a little over 3 bucks a piece.. We like the way they look and locust doesn't rot like some other woods.

Jennah

6. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Oh.. I know you said no electric, but an inexpensive option is the portable electric netting.., we use that to rotationally graze the goats.. Got the solar charger for around 80$ We were fortunate enough to be given the netting:) but I think that it is around 160$
    HTH

Jennah

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have T Posts set every 4 feet, and galvanized panels for pens....every 4 feet because when I first fenced we used welded wire, and it needed the strength, so instead of removing posts we just attached the panels to them. I also have a 4 strand electric pasture that could be portable for my girls, so far the bucks free roam when I can be here to watch them and they haven't gotten into the electric area yet :wink:

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks for all the information, guys! I am looking into all the options so hopefully we'll have an idea of what we can get done. The silly goats are going to have to make do with temporary pens for a while at least. :greengrin:

Has anyone had experience with using four cattle panels zip tied together but not posted into the ground? A friend mentioned she uses this and moves it when they eat down the browse, sort of a movable temporary pen that's strong.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I used them for my does....worked very well for them, I tried them with my bucks and they would get their heads stuck and them rubbing on them they pushed them over. Though instead of using zip ties I used the double ended "swivel snaps", durable and easy to move them, no cutting.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ah, I think I know what you're talking about.

I use cattle panel for my buck pen, which we'll be pulling up and taking with us, so no problems housing our buck(s).

Buckly's big horns can't fit through the holes so we don't have problems with that, and our future bucks will be hornless if at all possible.

I have four other panels that have smaller wire covering the outside (to keep kids in) so maybe I will set that up as a moving fence for whoever stays at home with us. (Likely Cowbell and her kids and Rudy and Hope because they are in milk)

Our friend and new neighbor also has Nigerians and has offered us a pen to keep our goats if we need until we get big enough pens set up, so I'm not overly concerned, but I sure want to get it done as soon as we can.

:)

11. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use cattle panels. They are 16' long and there's a post every 8 feet.

For the bucks, I use cattle panels and put posts up every 4 feet. But that is because I have Nubian/Pygmy buck(s) and Pygmy does and I do not want a Nubian buck breeding one of my pygmy does. I want my fence very sturdy.

12. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I am temporarily (it's been almost a year! :wink: ) using horse round pen panels for my does and kids. I used binder twine (from hay and straw bales) to tie chain link fencing to the inside. (I already had the chain link but I know it's normally expensive). The chain link keeps them from sticking their heads out. I haven't needed to use any extra fencing poles as the panels hold them selves up just fine (in a rectangle shape).

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have my posts every eight feet for all of my pens. For the kids pens we have five foot chainlink fence on wood posts with three rails. I cant bare to put kids in electric fence until they are older. All of the other pens are five line four foot fence of electric braid fencing. I know you said that you prefere not to have electric, but i really do love it. We use chainlink gates on all of the pens so i dont have to turn it off to go in and out. I never have problems with goats getting stuck because they never put their heads through the fence to begin with. My bucks stay where i out them. The buck pens ajoin the doe pen and i never have animals breeding through the fence. I dont have to worry about other animals getting in. And the best part is its easy to move.
    Like someone said if you can find things on craigs list that will save you some money. I know its hard when finacial times are rough but get the best you can afford. You will be happier in the long run. You will replace fences less.
    beth

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I actually looked into the electric braid fencing. Requested a sample and video and all that! So we'll see.

Back when we were running the exotic mammal rescue, we had a lot of electric fencing and wiring. I was younger and had some bad run ins with it, so I guess that's what's got me wary over it now. Silly, really.

I've got quite a few rolls of chainlink I just picked up for practically nothing. We're going to use them to set up a yard for the dogs.

We also decided to start buying posts every time we go out. And just let them stack up, or start putting them up.

We can get 330ft of field fence for about $120 so once we've got enough posts, we can put the fencing up. The buck pasture will be on the other side and we'll use our cattle panels we already have. We'll be enlarging it later on.

The back line of our property has field fencing. There are some bad spots, but most of it is solid. We're going to put the first pasture on the right of the house, where the big oak tree is.

We're drying off Rudy and Hope early, and all the goats will be boarding at my friend's house until the pasture is done. (With the possible exception of Cowbell and her kids.) They'll be just a half mile down the road, easy enough to feed them and spend some time every day.

We're getting very excited and I'll keep you guys updated on the progress! Also look for Cowbell's kidding thread here soon, she's on day 140 today, can you believe it?