The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
If you possibly can, go with woven wire it will hold up a whole lot longer. 2x4' spacing is what we use & it is 4' high. We should have gone higher.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you possibly can, go with woven wire it will hold up a whole lot longer. 2x4' spacing is what we use & it is 4' high. We should have gone higher.
Thanks!! I'll look for some woven wire fencing. Do you have miniature goats? Do you think 4' high would be high enough for minis?

·
Registered
96 Posts
how big is the pen? Smaller the pen the more they will jump up on the fence, i don't use woven wire, i would only use it if i was doing a HUGE pasture and i would only use "goat fencing" you can get it as TSC...i use cattle panel. i know its more money. but Trust me. they can do back flips off it...its not going to break,sag,or bend...ever. its great! Yes its around $19-$37<(galvanized) per panel (16 feet long) but it NEVER will get old. you can ALWAYS use it...its worth the money! if you are going to use woven wire and its a small pen, might want to add a bit of hot wire. just so they don't climb up on the fence.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We use regular horse fence but mine have to share their fields too...

Whatever kind you end up getting make sure there is no space between the bottom of the fence and the ground i made that mistake before lol ive had 100+ pound goats go under a gap not even a foot tall thats no fun to deal with at all... then you have your jumpers that will clear a 4 foot fence with ease but since you have smaller goats they shouldn't jump too bad ... And make sure its sturdy cause there is a 99.9999% chance they are going to rub all over it lol. Good luck :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
i know its more money. but Trust me. they can do back flips off it...its not going to break,sag,or bend...ever. its great!
They most certainly can tear, bend, break, and come apart. My girls tear up cattle panels on a regular basis. I've lost track of how many they have torn horizontal wires off of. But, come to think of it, mine also tore up aluminum cattle panels - the kind with the roughly 1 1/2" bars.

·
2,203 Posts
That's what we had around the fences. My goats (standards) tore it up within a month around the gate, two months around the whole front side, and four months to reach the grass everywhere else.

Go with cattle paneling or woven wire. We switched to cattle panel. It was a huge investment but totally worth every penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts