The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we just bought a house with a barn and box stalls, really excited about that no escapees at night anyways all the posts are in the ground but no fence. We're not wanting electric since we have so many young children so what's the next best? We have tons of predators here but my dogs work hard all night and keep them away but who knows if future dogs will be this good? So what should we use?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Super Moderator
58,074 Posts
I like my woven wire no climb horse fence. The openings are only 2x4. You can get it in 4 foot and 5 foot heights. Make sure it is installed correctly and nothing can get under the fence.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I like my woven wire no climb horse fence. The openings are only 2x4. You can get it in 4 foot and 5 foot heights. Make sure it is installed correctly and nothing can get under the fence.
i agree but shop around for a deal if you have a large area.
if you just have a small space i would go with hog panels for small breeds or steer panels for standards, you may want to make a smaller pen with this as it is buck proof.:devilish:

·
624 Posts
If you have lots of predators but don't want to put in an electric fence I would suggest a strand to run along the top of your fencing. Your small kids shouldn't be able to reach it and it would give the predators a good jolt if they try to jump the fence.

·
Certified Codger
414 Posts
We use 'field fence', which is 6" X 6" squares at the top down to 6" X 2" at the bottom X 48'' tall. Beware when buying field fence, though. be sure the VERTICAL wires are no more than 6" apart. Last roll I bought, I did not look at that (one roll of wire looks pretty much like another) and came home with 12" spacing between vertical wires. NOT a good thing for goat kids, as they can find a way to squeeze between the wires with that much space.

Adding a hot wire at the top is good insurance against predators climbing or jumping the fence.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you have lots of predators but don't want to put in an electric fence I would suggest a strand to run along the top of your fencing. Your small kids shouldn't be able to reach it and it would give the predators a good jolt if they try to jump the fence.
i agree .remember some predators will dig their way in, we ran a hot wire close to the ground on our chicken coop as we had a terrible fox/****/skunk/ coyote evaen a wolf:eek: problem. havent lost one since. :shocked:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts