The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again,
So I have 5 female Boer goats in a pen (plenty of space) but when it comes to feeding time it's like feeding hogs.
I usually take them out of the pen one at a time and feed them on the milking stand. Well its not working anymore, they try running me over and pushing through me etc..
So I want to feed them in the pen, but I've done that before and they ALWAYS go to each other's feeders and butt other goats out. I know that there's no way to stop it.
My question is, How do you guys feed multiple goats? Do you just feed them and say fend for yourself?
Sorry for rambling.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had this problem last summer too.... 1 doe would slowly eat and the other would eat hers so fast and then butt my other doe out and eat her grain as well... ofc, i only had 2 then, so it wasnt as hard as 5, but what i did was put the feeders in their pen, dump some grain in each so that they all went to their own feeder and then use a short piece of chain to chain them to the fence above their feeder. Now they all eat at the same pace so i let them just fend for themselves and i havent had any problems with one eating more than the others.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have done a system of short lengths of chain attached to the wall or fence (or if out in a field, to trees). Each goat gets tied up, and then I distribute the feed in individual dishes. The first few times are a pain, but after that, they learn that they don't get to eat until they get tied. I always tie the most dominant goat first, then on down the pecking order to the least dominant. When releasing them, I release the least dominant first, and end with the most dominant. This prevents the bossy ones from picking on the others while they're tied and can't escape.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a thread about this a while ago. Tethering can solve a lot of issues.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have trees outside my goat pen. Each goat has a tree they go to, and I have a piece of baling twine tied around the tree with a clip on the end. I let them out, they go to their tree, I clip them in, milk who I need to, then put them back.
I only have 3 goats, and now I have a milk stand so I'll have to switch it up a little.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've thought about the tethering, they are used to being tied to the fence when I do their feet or need to have the gate open and not worry about them getting out. The one sometimes doesn't want to go in the scary barn she just slept in, while the other one is chowing down faster than you can think of, so by the time Nyx comes in or I take it to her, she's on the losing side of eating it all! We'll see, I cut them down to 1/2 cup and so there's not a lot in there anyways and they've been doing better about sticking to their own feeders.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I feed my boys in their night stalls. They each have their own stall. The girls are fed on the milkstand. Ihave used the tying method before and it worked well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts