Fern kidded, buckling question

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by nhsmallfarmer, Apr 14, 2008.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi, I have been viewing this site for a few weeks n joined today its wonderful, My Nubian kidded last nite (2 days early) a doe n buck, the buck seems to have a shorted bottom jaw then the top

[​IMG]

anyone had any experience with this? the mom also will not let them nurse or let me milk, boy I about had to hogtie her to milk her at 5 am this morning (they were born 9 pm, gave them each 2 ounces of colostrum) hoping she will come into it, I dont mind milking her out n bottle feeding the babies, other then that she loves them so I dont know what her problem is.
    thanks for any advise
    Michelle
    New Hampshire

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome!!! so glad you joined us :wave:

As to the buckling - that is a parrot mouth and I would just wether him as this is a genetic defect. He also may not live very long or could live a long and healthy life. Usually the lower jaw doesn't grow much and the condition gets worse. He will probably need soft foods for most of his life.

As to her not wanting to nurse them, she could be sore and finding that letting them nurse is painful.

3. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    even with his parrot mouth he is still a cutie :) I would wether him.. But im sure he'll make a good pet for someone.. just make sure he is getting enough milk.. I hope he's a fihgter.
    congrats.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh poor baby! It took awhile for a couple of my ff to decide they wanted to "feed" those strange little creatures! But, I soon stopped freaking out about it and just waited till the moms decided "well ok". The kids are pretty persistant, and if she's not being mean to them hopefully she'll come around.

5. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ty all atleast I now know what he has, if its in the breeding now i have to decide is from the doe or buck, hate to rebreed her in the fall to have it happen again, that is sad. he is a fighter, I have been going out every 2-3 hours offering them each the bottle, he has been drinkin about 3 ounces she drinks about 2 ounce. she weighted 6# at birth he weighed 8#.
    here is a picture of the doe :girl: an the buck :boy: , thought he was pure white like his dad but he has a faint brown spot on the back of his neck,
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again, I will keep you updated on the next goat that is due today

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If he needs a bottle, have you tried offering him a pan of milk? They only have to slurp it up, and it requires no jaw action if he is having trouble with a bottle. Just stick his nose in it a couple times.

I had a doe once with a parrot jaw(rescue) I sold her to a friend and after a couple months on good minerals it straightened out quite nicely. You can see still a little bit of it, but not as much as she had.

They are cuties :)

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Michelle,
    Welcome to TGS. So happy that you are here.

Before i say anything about the little one with the parrot mouth. They are cute as a button. I just love the color of the doe. She is beautiful.
    Ok, that boy. Yes likethe others have said he has parrot mouth. Those that are born with that do not usually lead a very long life. Now that said I am not saying that some have not lived for years, but the average is not long at all. They end up starving because they can not suck to nurse enough. They do not have the strength to nurse. IF you are able to get him past that and help him nurse his way, then he will always need to have like hay out, because he will not be able to graze because he can not grip the weeds with the top and bottoms of his mouth to pull the weeds. SO If he has it free choice so he can just get it with out effort.

I wish you the best of luck. Some big breeders jut them down right away because they do not what to take the time it will take to keep them alive, but I know there is no way I would not give up on them at all. I mean look at that face, how could anyone give up on that?

8. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    hubby brought me home some lamb nipples they worked alot better for him then the normal baby bottle nipple I had been using, he eats pretty good, he had 4 oz, 3oz, 4 oz, n 6 oz so far today gonna take another bottle out to them in 3 hours to see if they want anymore. I just offer it n them eat what they want, she eats slightly less them him. as for the momma, well, hubby n I wrestled her onto the milk stand tonite, she kneeled down on her front legs n at her grain, lifting her back leg a few times when I asked hubby to hold it down I was able to milk her no problem after that, so hopefully she will catch on in a few day at the milking stuff. but she does tend to them kids real well, looks for them all the time, cleans them, lays with them. guess it will not b to bad to bottle feed them.
    thanks again
    Michelle

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well be glad you don't have to have them in your kitchen ;)

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Michelle! They are both adorable, and wow can you see the difference in their size! His head is huge compared to his sister's! His jaw is definately genetic so wethering him is a good idea, it may "grow" with him and not be a severe defect and the fact that he is eating well is a good sign that he is a fighter. Don't use the same buck on their dam next season and you should be able to see wether it is a maternal or paternal defect. Can't wait to hear about your coming kids!