The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ferns growing on the fence line of my bucks pen.. We pulled the fence back away from them cause they nibbled a few.. I have heard controversial things on them eating them. What is everyone's thoughts?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, i have thought of the same things...
Though I don't eat fiddle heads ;) my uncle try's to get me to but my mom said they are bitter.. Idk... I don't eat random plants as in walking through the woods lol!

I just don't know wether to let them be, or continue to freak out and pull them daily lol!

·
1,983 Posts
I was going to say the same thing bout fiddleheads. But I really don't know for sure. Are there a lot of them? Would you rather be safe then sorry? Ya know ask the co-operative extention office I bet they know the answer or could get the answer.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well unless I got a bunch of people saying their goats eat them all the time without a problem then I will continue to remove them lol!

That is a good idea Erica. I think I will also Ask a few other breeder friends too...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know your boy ate them fine... On Fisaco Farm it said ferns were ok... But a lot of other things said Bracken Ferns were bad.. How do I know the difference?? They all look the same to me!

LOL! I have been avoiding clipping all week! I was going to do it tomorrow morning or night... But my dad needs my help with some stuff, sooo.. I will do hoof trims tomorrow morning bathe them tomorrow night and clip Friday morning lol! :D Then run around like a headless chicken on friday packing and what not lol!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oye! So confusing! LOL!

LOL!! Fun Fun Fun! :laugh:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got pics.. Dose anyone know what kind they are? One has smaller leaves..

Attachments

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Ooooh, I just brought some of those back from my trip to Connecticut! The woods are full of them up there, and I thought they were so pretty!

·
5,018 Posts
Haha, yes I would! LOL! I would like to fill the woods with them! When my brothers and sisters and I were younger, we all made up our own imaginary countries. In mine there was a forest carpeted with ferns and wild strawberries, populated by timid elvish people that lived in round treehouses. Seeing all the ferns when I went up north was like stepping a fairytale! I'm hoping that the ones I brought down will do well here.
Maybe you can get a fern field guide online or at the library and identify them. Most ferns are edible I think.

·
5,018 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts