Fertility question

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by midlothianffa, Aug 27, 2015.

1. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    So I have a 3 month old buck kid that is super nice but he has a scrotum split and I've heard that in some cases has caused the buck to be infertile would it be possible to test him to see if he is or isn't fertile ? Ps I don't know anything about his sire I do own his dam but I know nothing about her either because I purchased them at a sale

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am sure it is possible to get him tested but I have never heard it makes them infertile it's just a not something you really want for shows.

3. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Ok Thank you

He's not registered we are going to use him for breeding wethers so it wouldn't be a huge deal for any sons out of him

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I read the same thing, I have a buck I just purchased that i didn't notice he had a split, so of course I tested by throwing a few does in with him. Knock on wood it's been a little over a month and they have not come back in heat!!

5. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

If it were me I would probably test the same way as jessica.

6. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    How else could you test because all my does are currently bred to my previous buck ? Would it be possible for the vet to check ?

7. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well now you have a reason to buy another goat!! Lol just kidding. I'm not 100% on this but yes I think a vet could, I think they would just need to get the semen and be able to look and make sure he's got some good swimmers there. I'm just not sure how that would be done with a goat.
    There was a topic on here not long ago about this and quite a few people had said that basically what we read about splits is untrue. How big of a split does he have? One buck was said to have over a 2 inch split and he produced many kids.
    I would ask your vet if your totally worried about it, but in the long run it might be cheaper just to feed him for another year and wait and see. A month after he breeds a doe you can draw blood and send it in to see if she's covered or not.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, a vet can test the bucks sperm count.

9. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    It's not very big only about 1/2 to 1 inch I just didn't know if he was too young to be tested or not because he would make a killer wether if he's sterile and I'm a senior so this would be my last year to show but I don't want to band him if there's no reason to

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Seems small your right.

The only thing I can say is, to ask a vet on when is the best time to test(what age).
    Being super small in scrotum size, can also indicate a mineral deficiency.

11. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    That's just how big the split is

12. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Could be an issue. Over the years I have also noted that odd shaped testies tend to translate over into odd shaped udders from the bucks daughters. Not sure if thats a founded assumption but seems to turn out that way.

13. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Thank you everyone for all the responses they were very helpful I guess I will be calling the vet Monday to see what they think I should do hopefully he's not infertile

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    I know of a buck that has a massive split, half his scrotum and when he was young the two halves were twisted around each other. The lady wrapped it to make them sit right. IMHO he should have been wethered for that spilt as it is huge! But he is fertile and breeding.

16. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Our vet doesn't do any type of fertility testing at all

well back to square one !

17. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok well you mentioned he could be a show wether? Is this something you purchased or did you raise him? If your worried and you raised him you could always wether him and try next kidding for another him but with better testicles. If you bough him or NEED him I would chance it and use him. Just use him as soon as you can, but the risk of him not being able to breed I think is the same as any buck, these perfectly round boys out there who are flat out no good, or have no interest in girls at all. Actually I've herd more about uninterested boys then I have about split testicles being no good.

18. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Well I bought him so that was why I didn't want to band him and he is very interested in our does he has been since a week old so I think he's fine but as soon as I say tht knowing my luck he won't be lol

19. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ohh you have the same luck as me!! I would try him out, let me see if I have a shot of my guys split, he and my other buck are figuring things out right now so I can't get you a very good shot but here it is, it's been well over a month since I gave him the first doe so I'm thinking he's ok. And hey!! If all your does are bred right now you have a reason to buy a new one lol
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1441155536.146992.jpg

20. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    I'd love another goat but my parents probably wouldn't find that amusing lol
    He's gorgeous by the way!
    Mine is a black dapple headed with a blaze on his face just like his momma