Fertility question

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by midlothianffa, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol yeah my husband would figure it was some kind of con I had going lol. I guess if you had a friend you would trust with their goats you could do a free breeding, but in all honesty, I think he should be fine. I know if your like me you'll still worry lol but I feel better about telling you that now that this guy is ok.
    And thank you!! Now you have to show off your guy ;)

2. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    I'll have to try to get pics of him this afternoon I honestly see no faults other than the split but I would love to hear everyone's opinions on him when I get the pics up

3. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Pictures are not the greatest he hates the stand an wouldnt set up correctly but he's about 3 months old and probably weighs 65-70 pounds [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    He's a cute guy, but I honestly don't like his split :( If it's big now which it does appear to look big in those last pics, then it may get even bigger as he gets older. I know your not planning to do any showing with him so he might do fine for what your wanting.

5. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Thanks
    Yes his split is fairly big that line isn't all split tho it's only about 3/4 inch but I'm sure it will probably get larger I've seen a buck with a very large split when we had to take a fence jumper to the sale barn I assumed that he was probably a sterile buck but when we looked at this little guy and his mom the split wasn't really noticeable I didn't see it till a couple weeks ago when it became obvious

6. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh he's a handsome one!! Now another view on this guy, what is your goal with your goats? I agree it's a good sized split, I still stand by saying he might still be good, but he might be a deal breaker on selling his offspring :( he also might pass this on. If your a commercial breeder or just mainly want to sell show wethers then this won't matter very much, just something to think about. Also my rule is I NEVER sell my proven bucks till I get some kids out of the replacement, that's split or not ;)

7. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Thank you
    I am just aiming to use him for breeding show wethers so it's not a huge deal for that I guess and I don't plan on going registered anytime soon so hopefully it won't get super large in the future but as I said before he's been acting very Bucky since we brought him home at a week old

8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Then make sure you have a back up buck and go for it :)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, that is a big split and will get a bit bigger as her matures.

He will suit you nicely otherwise, for whether kids. :)

10. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Thank you for your advice & compliments everyone I'm really excited to see how he grows out

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California