Festival's Progress - waiting on Preg Test results

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WhisperingWillowNDG, Oct 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. WhisperingWillowNDG

WhisperingWillowNDG Nigerian Dwarf Breeder in TN

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    Last October I purchased 4 Dill's does from a newbie breeder (she had only had them 9 months and was getting out) and my Mom brought them home. 3 of the does were a bit thin but in otherwise excellent health. The last was my sweet Festival. This doe has had scours off and on (usually ON - and NEVER normal berries) since the day she arrived :blue::confused:(keep in mind these were my first goats). I contacted the previous owner and she said that Festival had done that since she was tiny, and that "it usually cleared up on it's own"... newbie idiot that I was decided to take her for her word.... until I shaved her down this past March.... See "Before" picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was SHOCKED that her hair had covered that level of emaciation:eek::mecry:. I immediately contacted her breeder, asking what I should do. Took her to the vet, made sure she didn't have any diseases -- none. The vet and the breeder agreed (independently) that Festival had most likely contracted Cocci as a tiny baby (she was sold and transported as a 2 day old newborn) that either went untreated or was ineffectively treated :mad:... so, rehabilitation began. We put her on a different diet than the rest of the herd (who were all healthy), adding Calf Manna and Shredded Beet Pulp to her diet (Probios were already pretty much a constant addition). She always tested negative for worms (or rather negligible amounts of worms -- no goat ever tests NEGATIVE), but we wormed her anyway at the vet's direction. Ivermectin + 3 times 10 days apart, with a simultaneous treatment for cocci. She also started receiving Vit B Complex injections x 3 days each and every time she started scouring again. We would go a day, or a week, or in one case a month, without scours... but it ALWAYS comes back. A couple of pics of Festival during her rehab:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She was cycling off and on during all this mess, but I decided not to breed her until I couldn't see her backbone anymore and she had a layer of fat under her skin. It took 5 months. 5 months of yucky butt and sick doe, always expecting to walk out one morning and find her dead. But 5 months of slow progress... slowly building muscle and fat, slowly healing her poor destroyed digestive tract. Festival much better (still needs more weight and fat):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last month, I put her in with my buck, he mounted and all seemed well until a week later I came out to feed in the morning and found her with blood on her tail and chunky mucous nastiness on her tail and legs. :mecry: I was sure she had miscarried and was going to have to make the decision to sell her as a pet (IF I could get her healthy enough), or put her down. Called up the vet, took in a fecal sample, and he called me back with the results that she had a "goodly amount - not overload mind you, but a goodly amount" of stronglys (hook worms). And tht I shouldn't worry as the blood and nastiness I had seen were probably cause by the WORMS!!! OMG YUCK

so... another 2 rounds of Ivermectin (no plus this time as we hope she is bred), and she's been as healthy as I've ever seen her. I have found that if I give her an oral dose of 3 cc Vit B complex every other day, she is able to maintain normal berries (and able to put on weight and KEEP it on).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So, a few days ago we drew blood, and sent it to Biotracking... now we are waiting on results.... PLEASE festival be pregnant!! If you can't conceive, then you can't stay and you are my absolute FAVORITE! I'm on pins and needles till Tuesday or Wednesday when I get the results back on her pregnancy (and 5 others LOL) So I figured i would start this thread and see if i could get anyone else on pins and needles with me LOL --

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, she is sure looking great now. I hope she is pregnant for you.

3. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    I still worry a great deal about her. Really hoping she can settle and safely carry a pregnancy to term...

4. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    Well darn it. :-( Festival was negative for pregnancy.

Ok, so what. We'll try AGAIN -this time with Dill's GA King Arthur *B... if she doesn't settle in the next couple of cycles she'll be offered up for sale as a pet doe. :*-(

5. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    You did an awesome job getting her back in shape. I hope she settles for you -- if not, she is going to make the PERFECT pet <3

6. KarmakeeFarm

KarmakeeFarm New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Wow that poor girl! She sure is pretty little thing-good for you getting her in such good shape!

7. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    She seems happy now, and has had normal poo for 2 weeks! I think the Vit B Complex (3 cc orally every other day) are keeping her on the right track... I don't mind giving her meds every other day for the rest of her life, I would be worried handing her off to someone who wasn't willing to do the same. How could I ever know for SURE that any pet buyer will take care of her? --- I'm so torn up by the thought of her going somewhere else and ending up dead of malnutrition bc the new owner wasn't willing to handle her problems. She might have to stay here till the perfect person comes along...

there WAS a bit of good news that came with her nagative pregnancy report: 5 of her herdmates ARE pregnant! So at least I know my buck was doing his job!

8. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    OK. I'm 100% positive she is now successfully bred to Arthur and due in March or early April.

BUT the pregnancy has obviously overloaded her already iffy digestive system. Since about 30 days bred she has almost constantly had mushy dog-type poop.

We tried bumping up her b complex oral dose to 6ml daily plus pro-bios gel in the evening. No change.

We tried worming her 3x 10 days apart. And a 5 day course of cocci treatment. No change.

We tried changing to an all herbal Gi Soother and Better Daze treatments from fir meadows. She got better after the first week then promptly reverted to mushy dog-type poop again. Kept up the herbal treatments for another 2 weeks... no change.

Back on 6ml b complex vitamins injected daily as of 2 days ago... I don't hold much hope that she will get better.

I'm at my wits end and SICK UNTO DEATH of seeing her rear end covered in feces every morning (I have her rear shaved down to keep it cleaner but it's still a big brown mess on an otherwise white goat. I'm SICK of treating her 3xs a day every day for the last 18 months and having no kids or clear progress (yes she was mostly healthy when I bred her but I can't keep her if she can't produce and I can't sell her with the knowledge that she will be a burden to anyone that purchases her).

I'm tired of having to explain her problems to anyone and everyone that comes to look at my herd/farm. But I don't know what else to DO!!

I want her healthy. I want her happy.

I'm obviously not going to get either of those.

Barring that I WANT THOSE KIDS she's carrying.

But what kind of breeder does that make me?! Am I a monster for not putting her down?!

Someone please help. Should I euthanize her? Should I make her live with disgusting nasty poop/butt until she kids? Then what? Put her down then and bottle feed the babies (IF she even kids live healthy babies!)? I'm certainly not going to sell or give her away.... I'm so sad and heartbroken and...... heartbroken.

any advice??

9. I'm sorry she's had so many problems. Hopefully you can get healthy babies. Are you ready to bottle feed in case she takes a turn for the worse? If it were me, I'd have to admit I'd be ready to bottle feed and probably put her down. You have spent months and months with vet care (so you'd think everything as been covered) with no permanent solution. I would maybe test, if you haven't already for Johnne's to be sure she is negative and hasn't affected the herd. JMHO.

10. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    Oh yes, she's been tested for everything. Clear for cae cl johnnes. I'm perfectly prepared to bottle feed. Will pull colostrum from one of my does that's due in January and will be milking lots of girls come festival's due date so the kids would have raw fresh goats milk.

11. redwingminis

redwingminis New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Rio Medina, Texas
    I have no advice on the matter since I don't have enough experience to pull from, but I do have a deep respect for what you are doing and standing for within your herd and the breed.

You clearly keep fighting for the underdog !

If we had a few more folks like yourself in America, we wouldn't be facing the challenges we are currently.

Either way, I applaud your efforts!

Sent from my iPhone 5

12. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    Redwing: I'm not tearing up. Thank you for your words and encouragement. I sometimes wonder if I'm a glutton for punishment or if I'm torturing this poor doe just for the chance of kids.

Her breeder (we keep in touch regarding festival and her progress) has said that she probably would have put her down last spring. I couldn't do it. Better me than some stranger at a vet office, but it will kill a part of my heart to put her down. She has come so far...and fought so hard right along beside me. This POOR DOE.

If only. If only her first owner had known to treat her... her littermate twin sister resides with the breeder and is STUNNING. That could have been Festival. If only. Thank you redwing.

13. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
  14. pixie

pixie New Member

Dec 30, 2012
    My heart goes out to you. You have worked so diligently for so long with her. That much work is very hard to do without investing your heart as much along the way. Just a thought, I am wondering if her body had a chance to really adjust to being" normal and healthy" before adding the new stressor of being pregnant to the picture? I am hoping for the best outcome for both of you!

15. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't think you were wrong for breeding her -- you have nursed her to health. The breeder should not have sold her so ill to you, I'm sorry.

16. That says it all, you have been proactive, and done everything you can do and ready for what comes next. I know it's hard, I'm not ready for the day that happens. My husband says it's not if it's when something happens even being old age. Yes I get that but I'm still a bleeding heart. We're all here to support you best we can!:mecry:

17. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    Wood haven, HER breeder didn't sell her to me, just being clear. I don't think the person that sold her to me knew she had problems (maybe she should have!!)... just a total newbie (like I was) that didn't understand that ANY scouring was a bad thing.

I'm sure if she knew what had become of Festival (she had another name there), she would sincerely regret what has she has come to. I didn't give the seller grief over it as what would be the point... she no longer owns goats and has no intention of getting more.

18. WhisperingWillowNDG

Jul 20, 2011
    Calhoun, TN
    Thank you all! It's a bad day today. Hopefully tomorrow I won't feel so depressed about the whole situation

19. Jodi_berg

Jodi_berg Goat Mom

Oct 28, 2012
    Vermont
    The before pics almost make me tear up, and to see where she is now is so heartwarming! 3 cheers for you & that is one happy goat!

20. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I am so sorry to hear about your lil goatie. You have to do what's best for you.

I'm sitting here trying to think of something and keep relating it back to a human .... For instance, I have a high intolerance to dairy. If I eat just one slice of cheese a day I end up with the runs. For my oldest she got the worst ear infections from dairy (which doctor didn't figure out) and in her teenage years she got the worst acne welts from dairy (which again the doctors didn't figure out).

I'm wanting to lean towards diet on her.

I hope she hangs in there for you and gives you beautiful babies.