The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 7 year old wether Henry has a 106 F fever. Noticed he was acting strange this morning (laying down a lot, walking weird). When we went out and took his temp just now he was out eating and acting fine, but temp was 106 F. Took a couple of the other goats' and theirs were around 101 F.
Any advice is appreciated, we are separating him now and giving electrolytes. Should we give banamine?
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - get his temp down, A friend of mine just texted to watch goats close, she noticed pneumonia in a kid this morning. Temps are weird and not helpful for respiratory, so I would pounce on it.
Thank you! So give banamine? Would you start antibiotics?
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
83,113 Posts
These temps have been weird, have had 4 of my kids get pneumonia.

They do get colds as well, but do not have a temp with it and has not went to pneumonia. We watch this closely.
Some ride out the cold, while others may get pneumonia.

With a temp that high yes, start antibiotics and give banamine.

What antibiotic do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These temps have been weird, have had 4 of my kids get pneumonia.

They do get colds as well, but do not have a temp with it and has not went to pneumonia. We watch this closely.
Some ride out the cold, while others may get pneumonia.

With a temp that high yes, start antibiotics and give banamine.

What antibiotic do you have?
Okay. It is super hot here in the 90s. We have tylan and penicillin.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,576 Posts
I agree..tyaln 200 1 xc pee 25 poubds sub q.

I wouldnt do banamine orally..i would give 1 cc per 100 pounds sub q to help reduce that fever.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We gave banamine (Sq) a couple hours ago, and b complex and probios. He is currently yelling his head off because he is in the barn by himself. He drank some electrolytes and ate some hay pellets and hay. He's acting normal. Do you think it would hurt to wait until the banamine wears off and if his temp is still up start antibiotics?
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Member
Joined
·
8,163 Posts
Yep, inject Banamine into the muscle in the neck. It does sting. (as an aside- I have always given banamine at 1 cc per 50# for high fevers, never had a bad reaction or anything).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think it would hurt to wait until the banamine wears off and if his temp is still up start antibiotics?
Just went and checked on him, he stopped yelling as much and is eating hay,
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,576 Posts
I would still start antibiotics. Banamine can mask the issue, so still need to address it. Glad he's settled down for you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. We gave a shot of tylan. His temp is down to 103.7 F. Would you say to do 5 or 7 days of antibiotics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,576 Posts
5 days to start then assess if you feel he needs another 2.

Best wishes
 
  • Like
Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Temp was 103 F this morning. He's eating and drinking but very sad being away from the herd. I think if his temp is still down tonight we will put him back out but continue the tylan shots. We mailed a fecal just in case although his FAMACHA is not bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,576 Posts
I don't see why he can't run with his herd as long as he's not weak. If he's happy, he will heal faster : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see why he can't run with his herd as long as he's not weak. If he's happy, he will heal faster : )
We're just being cautious. We have huge pastures and didn't want him to fall down out there if he was sick. He was acting odd yesterday morning but seems better now. We will let him back out tonight as long as he is still acting ok :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We gave the last shot of tylan today. We've been taking his temp every day and it's staying in the 101-102.5 F or so range. We're going to keep taking it daily for a while. He's acting normal :)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top