Fever and small lump in udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Feira426, Aug 11, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    B complex is 1 cc per 25# Sub Q ( under the skin) for Goats all injectable meds can be given sub q except hormones and steroids even if the the bottle says IM. B complex is a thin liquid so a thin needle is perfect..22 G works well. This makes a nice shot to practice with since no needle pain or medication sting, and its safe. The chart I posted shows 2 locations for Sub Q shots. I prefer the neck area, but the arm pit works great too. Lift a big tent and push needle in, draw the plunger back to check for blood, no blood is good to go, see blood, re adjust and try again. B complex should always be injected as much is lost given orally.

Best wishes

Attached Files:

toth boer goats and Feira426 like this.
  2. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    That's exactly what I needed!! Thanks SO much. Last time I spent several hours looking at dozens of different tidbits of information, trying desperately to put them all together and make sense of everything before I was confident enough to give it a try. I appreciate your help SO MUCH - you've saved me a lot of time and worry!! I'm on my last needle and it's 20G, but I think that's probably close enough.

Thank you again! The picture was incredibly helpful also.

happybleats likes this.

3. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes 20 G is good too...you got this!!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Success! Now to wait and see if it seems to help her. Thanks again!

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.
  6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Hey! I just want to throw something out there... if you have a local agriculture lab, they can do the mastitis test there and they are often pretty cheap! That's where I brought it for my girl when she had a precocious udder with lumps that we presumed were mastitis. We treated with ToMorrow because she wasn't anywhere close to milking at the time, lots of massage , parsley, the mastitis salve from mollys.... She did improve, but to this day I still feel the "scar lumps" from the mastitis in the mammary tissue. It's like two balls, one on each side. Her milk is delicious, no fever, asymptomatic at this point... but we keep a close eye on her. The vet told me that the scarring can last forever and sometimes impact milk production, but I suppose we got lucky because she's a great milker and has no issue being milked out.

Side note..... My new microscope arrives tomorrow and I have all the technology and the capability to do a gram stain to rule out the presence of any mastitis causing bacteria. I'm a biology major turned goat lover =) I'd be happy to run a test for you, but you'd have to ship me a sample (I'm in VA).

toth boer goats and Feira426 like this.
  9. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for the advice! And how cool that you can do that yourself!!! I did find a local lab I can send milk to and am considering having it tested even though she keeps testing negative for mastitis. Just in case. But right now she has no symptoms except I can still feel two tiny lumps in the one side of her udder. So at the moment I’m just continuing to monitor her and see if anything changes to give me a better idea what I’m dealing with.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Still doing well. Eating normally, acting normally, lumps haven’t changed. No bigger, still don’t feel squishy at all. Idk what they are, but they don’t seem to be bothering her at all.

toth boer goats likes this.