The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. We have a two year old nubian doe who has never been the picture of health - coughing, a little slow. We've wormed her several times in the year we've had her but she never really seems 100%. Yesterday we noticed she seemed less active and ate less. Today she has just been laying around but will get up and move around some. Saw her at the goat block and baking soda a few times. Will take small treats but no food. We took her temp and it is 106 so we are giving banamine and pen g. Also gave her nutridrench twice today, probios this morning and safeguard before we took the temp. Trying to get her to drink molasses water with electrolytes too. Is there anything else we should do?
Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
Banamine and Penicillin are good. I would also add the Vitamin B Complex. Definitely have a fecal run to include coccidia.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We just gave it to her when I posted. She is in a large kennel in our bedroom sleeping off the banamine right now. Poor Hannah. We have given her safeguard and cydectin in the past-not all at once. I think one more too but can't remember. I'm not sure if we have the b complex but I will look and if not will get it tomorrow. Hannah was our first Craigslist special and our first not so wise purchase but she is a sweet girl.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: we gave her a little less than 1 cc of banamine since she doesn't weigh quite 100lbs. We estimate 70lbs. Well, that might have been too much. She has been completely out of it since, though she is finally moving her head and legs some. She has just been sleeping, snoring and slightly moaning. We checked on her once and she was moaning louder and on her side. She looked bloated so we took her out of the kennel and onto the patio and sat with her while patting and rubbing her sides. She was too drugged to stand and lifting her with a towel under the chest was a failure though it did produce a pretty big burp. After working with her like that for about 20 minutes, her sides weren't so hard and she didn't seem to be in distress, so we left her in peace for a bit. Since she was so out of it I was afraid to try drenching with baking soda or anything. So I found b complex (thanks to this forum and me stocking up on randomly remembered items I had read about here) and gave her about 3 1/2 cc. She is not as hot to the touch as she was before so her temp has come down, though in the craziness of the bloat scare we didn't take her temp again. She is now out on the patio laying down with towels to keep her from laying on her side and my husband in a sleeping bag beside her. This is the man who loves to remind me that "those are your damn goats!"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well now I am puzzled. The medicine we were given and told was banamine by a vet who does not have an office and only treats animals at the farm has done that to any of the animals that have received it. It has made a few horses very woozy. I am going to get the bottle from the barn and really look at it. I bet he gave it to us as a banamine equivalent thinking it would only be for horses. Hannah came out of the fog and stood up at about 3am. We put her back in the goat pen so she would be less stressed and have water and the company of the other girls. She is laying by the gate and actually holding her head up. We will keep giving her the pen g and vitamin b complex, along with probios and maybe nutridrench? No more pseudo-banamine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My husband just checked on the medicine. It is Anased, a sedative. He grabbed the wrong bottle in his hurry to get back over to treat her. OMG we could have really hurt or killed her! Quick explanation about the meds in the barn...we have a couple of people who board horses with us and one of them is an "old horse and cow" guy. He is the one who uses the non-office practicing vet and stores the meds. He has taught us a lot about horses and cattle, but knows little to nothing about goats.

So Hannah's temp was down to 101.6 but she is not feeling well at all. She can and will stand but mostly just lays down. I gave her probios and nutridrench about an hour ago. And I noticed she got up to poop. It is runny. How often should/can I give her the pen and b complex? Should we try again with the real banamine or just leave that alone?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
My husband just checked on the medicine. It is Anased, a sedative. He grabbed the wrong bottle in his hurry to get back over to treat her. OMG we could have really hurt or killed her! Quick explanation about the meds in the barn...we have a couple of people who board horses with us and one of them is an "old horse and cow" guy. He is the one who uses the non-office practicing vet and stores the meds. He has taught us a lot about horses and cattle, but knows little to nothing about goats.

So Hannah's temp was down to 101.6 but she is not feeling well at all. She can and will stand but mostly just lays down. I gave her probios and nutridrench about an hour ago. And I noticed she got up to poop. It is runny. How often should/can I give her the pen and b complex? Should we try again with the real banamine or just leave that alone?
I wouldn't give her any banamine unless her temp goes back up or you think she is in pain. Keep taking the temp.

·
Administrator
84,628 Posts
The sedative, can kill goats, in some situations. I am surprised, she is still with us.

The pen should be given for 5 days minimum

I would give her fortified vit B complex shot 6cc's, will help her with appetite and give her energy..

Is she eating and drinking?
No grain until she is back to normal.

I agree, get a fecal in case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Hannah died earlier this afternoon. We thought she wasn't going to make it yesterday when she stopped eating and did nothing but lay around and I guess our medicine mistake sped it up. As I said earlier she has never been the picture of health but we sure didn't want to kill her. My husband feels absolutely horrible. Me too but I think he is worse.

Again thank you all for trying to help.

·
Administrator
84,628 Posts
I am so sorry. :(

A hard lesson learned, it isn't your fault though. The vet is the one at fault here and should of known what he was giving you.
Even when a vet gives you a med, know your drugs, Read labels, look it up online and know what the drug is for, before giving it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Toth. No, the vet wasn't at fault since we had the right stuff and were just in a rush. I don't think it was totally because of the medicine switch, but that sped up the inevitable and is a mistake we are not going to repeat. Again thanks everyone for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
im so sorry :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts