Few preggo goat questions.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    These girls is about 4 months along if she is pregnant. Could she just be fat? Cant feel babies yet. And I think I see a bit of an udder, but not much. Im unsure. I tried to take new pics but with an unhappy doe and a new camera they were blurry. Shed be a first timer, and shes an apx 1 and 3 old la mancha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone got a way to tell or make it less blurry lol

[​IMG]

Then theres this girl. She had babies before, you can tell by her udder. Im almost 100% sure shes pregnant. Shes getting an udder. But heres my question. Shes already getting an udder, and shes already starting to be unhappily fat. But shes only supposed to be like 2 and a half months old. Is she gonna have multiple babies and be very miserable by the end? I dont think she was bred earlier unless it was through the fence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the 1st doe to me doesn't look preggo..? By 4 months she should be huge and she appears very thin because you can see her hip bone (skeletal )

The 2nd doe ....you mentioned she has had kids before?....are you sure she is only 2 and a 1/2 mo ......unless you meant she is 2 1/2 months along not "old" :scratch:

the second doe also is very thin....
    Have they been wormed....?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Without a good udder pic of the first doe...even as a FF she should be forming an udder at 4 months along....the second doe being early in pregnancy and bigger to you could be because she has kidded before, the more pregnancies they carry they tend to "stretch" the belly and a 2 1/2 month preggy "experienced" doe will look pregnant sooner.

4. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Sorry I typed it quickly. Shes two and a half months "along" in the pregnancy. Yes they have been wormed. The pics I just posted the pics to show off their bellies more and not the most flattering ones. Thats what I think your seeing. They are quick healthy girls :)

Yeah the lack of udder makes me think shes not pregnant. I have another first timer that at 4 months along had quite the udder. But Ive read some does dont get an udder much til last minute.

Thank you Liz I wondered If I was just used to seeing first timers. Because most of my does are.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My oldest doe is a pygmy/nigi cross an dafter her 5th freshening with a single, I got scared and went in to see if there were more...she was way too huge to have just a tiny 3 lb buckling! No extra babies in there...her last freshening was Feb 08 with triplet bucklings and she was just as big with them as she was the single.

6. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

One of my first timers last year was huge, I thought for sure there had to be more in there. But I knew first time they usually had one. But she had this little doe and I thought for sure there was more, but there wasnt. Guess it just varies. Poka the black with the spots was a rescue from an auction. Though she doesnt seem that old I have a feeling shes had more then one set of babies before. Though her udder is in really good shape, so who knows.

7. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

My Nubian doe looks almost exacally like this one, hippy and skinny in the rear (dont take it personally ok) I thought my doe was ok, she took was wormed prior to breeding season, my doe has a bit bigger belly it seems to hang lower under her, I have also posted some poochie shots and i believe the verdit is she is bred, now as to my does due date idk :shrug: never saw them breeding but I would assume about the same as the doe here

8. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    How do you all get good "back end" udder pics? I cant ever seem to get my to turn out. LOL. Then again my does dont hold still.

9. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I put my goats on a milk stand. :thumb:

10. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

I had a feeling thats what people did. We do not milk yet. But hope to soon. :) Gotta get a stand and find an extra few hours to the day lol

11. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

What happened to your first does hind foot? She looks like shes walking on her ankle?

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Looks like really low pasterns.

I'm thinking the first doe is not pregnant. The second, probably so. :)

We use a milk stand/stanchion too. But if you can get someone to hold the doe by the collar and then set her back legs (takes a lot of patience!) then you may be able to snap a couple shots.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    could be long toes too..

i say that the nubian is.

the lamancha. i say it's a no go cause my mancha is 31 days preggo and is already getting chunky

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    You guys need to remember that these are rescues too :wink:

I wouldn't know whose preggo or not, sorry..

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    we aren't nit-picking on conformation though.. just pointing out that that's one thing that she could fix to make her life more comfortable

16. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I really find things just amazing how people can be on this site.

Thanks alot everyone. I really appreciate the comments. Way to make someone that hasnt been on the site much feel welcome.

17. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I wasnt being nasty either, just had never seen it before, so was asking...
    I didnt comment on them being pregnant because I couldnt tell if they were or not, thats all.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not knowing for sure certainly does put added strain on us! Seeing as how you rescued these goaties and are doing everything possible to ensure they have a happy healthy life, you are a very commendable person :hug:

Those little things we all look for to see if a doe is expecting can sometimes be elusive with these girls...an udder that suddenly blossoms or a belly that suddenly appears! It's easier for me to tell with my mini's because the onlyway they show definate changes is when those already round bellies get "deeper". And ith FF those udders don't always grow the way we think they should.

There was a topic posted by Anna...on Glitz losing her ligs....excellent pics added of her doe showing her baby belly and udder, those larger dairy does tend to have the prominent hip bones and carry very low and deep so they don't always neccessarily get wider. A comparison of your girls to Anna's doe is telling me that they are possibly preggy.

A very good "tool" to have is a milk stand, it is a great help when you need to do te routine things such as hoof care and vaccines....as well as the fun things like taking"good" piccies....for me it's more of a back saver as those minis are just s short!

Anything you have available can be used for this purpose....a level non slip surface at your knee or mid thigh height pushed against a wall with a way of securing the goat will help greatly and save your back.

19. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm confused, I honestly didn't mean to offend you Nubiansrus, I'm truly sorry if I did..?
    I said that they were rescues not to point out that they were bad, which they aren't, but to point out that could be the reason that one doe was on the skinny side. We rescued a Nubian from an auction, there was just something about her that we really liked, so we got her for $88 dollars, but we only had room for one goat in our pickup at the time, so the rest that she was with were sold as meat to the other bidder. Anyway, she was sooo skinny, it looked like she could fall over with the wind. So I know where your coming from, because some people thought we never fed her because she was so skinny, but that wasn't the case at all, we were helping her.

Also, SDK, how do you fix low pasterns?

20. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I read and then reread this thread, I don't see any bad or nasty comments...just people trying to help you. :shrug:

I agree, the lamanch doesn't look bred.