The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FF milks tastes funny-update

We have been drinking the milk from the 2yr old FF Nigerian Dwarf that I picked up in June(she freshened in Feb) and it is wonderful. Our FF that we got as a kid last year kidded 3.5 weeks ago to a single doe. I have just started to separate them at night and milk mom in the morning. Today was the first day that I tried her milk :eek: It is awful! So glad I tried it before my children did. Since she is nursing single, is it possible that there are still traces of colostrum in it? She gets the same diet as the other one and they share a stall and paddock.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
You may want to read through the thread milk taste salty/bitter and sigh now what... A lot of information from nygoatmom's experience. I haven't had that problem, and I'm sure praying that I won't. 3.5 weeks, there shouldn't be colostrum in it, but I'm not positive about that..

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
The more time you allow between the last thing a goat eats to when you milk, the better the milk will taste. Dairy cows for the most part are feed right after they are milked and the feed in front of them doesnt last but a few hours. This way their milk doesnt have any nasty taste to it. Though they are also fed a mix of stuff that doesnt usually influence the milk to much anyways.

You can also give say a half cup to a cup of baking soda to clean up the milk taste and to add butter fat. Not exactly sure when you would wanna do this but Id say at least 2 hours before you milk but maybe even as much as 6?

And finally some animals are just nasty no matter what you do. Personally I like Lamancha milk the best. As a breed they have a very nice blend of overall volume and butter fat. Granted I dont of course own any (my other half does) cause they kinda freak me out with the no ears thing :)

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We love the milk from our other Nigerian doe. I had expected this one to taste the same. They eat at about 630 pm and I've been milking at 830am. So aside from hay, she's not eating anything else before I milk her. And, she has the same diet as the other doe. I am hoping it's just a newbie thing and it'll start tasting better in a week or so. Guess I'll be making lots of soap :)

I've been reading the other thread and am thinking maybe I need to dose everyone with copper. I did it 3.5 months ago, but I'm not seeing much change in coats and tails. We have high iron well water, so maybe they were really deficient. They do have a good mineral free choice, but it might not be enough.

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
I am wondering if the single kid does have something to do with it. Maybe after milking her out a few times, it will start tasting better.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am wondering if the single kid does have something to do with it. Maybe after milking her out a few times, it will start tasting better.
That's what I was thinking. Perhaps with just a single it takes longer for the colostrum to go through. Also, I did worm her with valbazen 2 weeks ago and gave dimethox a week ago. Maybe those aren't out completely either.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to update today that it has been a week since I started milking her and tasted it again today. Much better, but not 100% I really think her nursing a single has a lot to do with it. YAY!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm so glad it's better, I would also say to clear it up 100% I would use the copper. One of our does tasted horrible for 2-3 freshenings and after I dosed her with copper this year she came in with normal tasting milk!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts