The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Alpine doe freshened this morning, she is a FF and was getting violent with the kid. Thankfully I had a little coat on him or she would have grabbed the back of his neck and shook him, violently, not a good mom at the moment, but we are trying to work on it. I tried holding her to let him nurse but she wants nothing to do with him. Pulled the kid, my question is I milked her right away after rejection as she wouldnt allow him to nurse, got about 4 oz, fed him by bottle and milked again mid afternoon for more to feed. How many times a day can I safely milk her so I can feed him? She gave between 6 to 8 oz for second milking, enough for almost 2 more feedings. I dont want to overload her, but I dont want the baby to go without. I know she will make more as milking continues, just worried about the little guy until then. Help?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
My Alpine doe freshened this morning, she is a FF and was getting violent with the kid. Thankfully I had a little coat on him or she would have grabbed the back of his neck and shook him, violently, not a good mom at the moment, but we are trying to work on it. I tried holding her to let him nurse but she wants nothing to do with him. Pulled the kid, my question is I milked her right away after rejection as she wouldnt allow him to nurse, got about 4 oz, fed him by bottle and milked again mid afternoon for more to feed. How many times a day can I safely milk her so I can feed him? She gave between 6 to 8 oz for second milking, enough for almost 2 more feedings. I dont want to overload her, but I dont want the baby to go without. I know she will make more as milking continues, just worried about the little guy until then. Help?
Can you put the kid on the stand and let it nurse from mom? If she is not crazy you can do it that way or tie her up. If she acts the fool when milking and it not safe for the kid do not do it that way. several times a day is good. Can you put the kid in a dog crate in a stall with her? Put bedding in the crate for warmth.

Banamine might also help her. She may be a bit sore and hurting and that is keeping her from being a good mom. Ff sometimes take a few to several daysto figure out the i am a mom now thing. If you can sit with the kid and her several times a day together it may help too. She is not seeing the kid as hers yet (some never do but most will).

Since you got so much colostrum the second milking i would freeze half of it since you say it will be enough for two feeds. You are going to keep milking her and will get more. You can milk her as many times a day as you feel necessary. Most will do two or three times a day but some will do more. It is just up to you and you ability to do it.

I would try as many times a day as possible to get her to accept the kid. For bottle babies some feed only three bottles a day but i do not like that. I fed ours on demand for the first week or so cause i felt like that was more natural to them. It ended up being every few hours for several days. Then they drank more and were satisfied longer like a human infant. But i was also home too and could do it that way. I think most people do four or five bottles a day at first.

But you need weigh the kid and figure out how much milk a day it needs. Also the tum should be full but not tight and bulging. You will also need wipe the bottom of the kid so it stimulates it to poop at first. The milk should be a bit warmer than you would do an infant bottle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I will give her a dose of banamine now. I am feeding on demand at the moment. I feel thats what he needs right now. He is a single kid and feeds around every 3 to 4 hours at 4 oz a feeding. I am still trying to work with mom but she is adamant he isnt hers, kicks and squirms away from him. She literally tried to outrun the placenta as she was passing it, she was that traumatized. She obviously has no idea why this "alien" came out of her and what to do with it. I will try the crate tomorrow, hopefully she will soon realize what she needs to do and accept her little boy. If she doesnt accept him within the next few days to a week, I will continue bottle feeding moms milk. Currently I am milking her every 6 hours, she had warm molasses water after birth, along with alfalfa hay free choice, and 16% protein feed. She did clean him after birth and seemed interested, but wouldnt allow him near her to nurse. A few hours later she was trying to throw him around and slam him across the stall. This is my first one to be rejected so its a learning experience. I did talk to my vet about him not pooping yet, she said if nothing by morning, to give him an enema (which I have done before) and let her know the outcome. I have been using a warm wet rag to wipe his bum to try to stimulate a poop as advised by the vet, but no luck yet. Will try everything you suggested and hope she finally accepts her "alien." Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Thank you both! I will give her a dose of banamine now. I am feeding on demand at the moment. I feel thats what he needs right now. He is a single kid and feeds around every 3 to 4 hours at 4 oz a feeding. I am still trying to work with mom but she is adamant he isnt hers, kicks and squirms away from him. She literally tried to outrun the placenta as she was passing it, she was that traumatized. She obviously has no idea why this "alien" came out of her and what to do with it. I will try the crate tomorrow, hopefully she will soon realize what she needs to do and accept her little boy. If she doesnt accept him within the next few days to a week, I will continue bottle feeding moms milk. Currently I am milking her every 6 hours, she had warm molasses water after birth, along with alfalfa hay free choice, and 16% protein feed. She did clean him after birth and seemed interested, but wouldnt allow him near her to nurse. A few hours later she was trying to throw him around and slam him across the stall. This is my first one to be rejected so its a learning experience. I did talk to my vet about him not pooping yet, she said if nothing by morning, to give him an enema (which I have done before) and let her know the outcome. I have been using a warm wet rag to wipe his bum to try to stimulate a poop as advised by the vet, but no luck yet. Will try everything you suggested and hope she finally accepts her "alien." Thank you again!
Ooo also check to see if his teeth have sharp edges to them. I have seen people say that on here for rejected kids. And to just file them down to not so sharp if they are.

·
Super Moderator
58,241 Posts
When you milk every 6 hours, are you milking her out? Her body needs to know there is a demand for milk. Milking her out will let her body know to make more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you milk every 6 hours, are you milking her out? Her body needs to know there is a demand for milk. Milking her out will let her body know to make more.
Yes, the first time I milked I didnt, just due to needing to get something into him asap, he was about 3 hours old and we fought with her to try to let him nurse several times. When he laid down and looked about ready to give up I put it in high gear and gave her quick milking, just to get him up and running. Every milking since I have completely milked her. She is 100% the lady when I milk her, definitely thought that would be a battle, but she even lifts her legs up to help me reach better, she just doesnt want him near her. Its so weird!

·
8,071 Posts
Unfortunately, through all the modern breeding, some goats have lost the maternal instinct. She may do better next time, or never be a good mom. Some does suddenly get all maternal after a few days. By then the kid is a happy bottle kid and too bad for the mom!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We took the kid to the barn today, she "talked to him" but if he was close to her she would jump back. Its like she is seriously afraid of him. I honestly dont know, I was hoping she would show a little interest, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with him. Put her in the milking stand to let him nurse, my son held her still but she still wanted to kick the kid away. I dont trust her to take on the responsibility of a baby at this time. He is a great bottle baby, so at least I have that going good.

I have another issue come up with this doe. She is now off grain, wont touch hay or alfalfa pellets (got some to try to entice her to eat because they are one if her favorites). She wont touch any of it except to pick at it. Wormed her, poop is an olive green/brown color and very runny. Temp is normal range - 102.4° She is active and spunky, drinking well. She did get a little extra grain during milking but wasnt overboard. I have probios, vit b complex, corrid, scour treatment, and electrolytes on hand, I also have some other meds I cant remember (Its all in the barn in the cabinet). I did give her banamine as suggested for pain. Her vulva is massively swelled (almost ping pong ball size) and the diarrhea gets on it, I clean her every time I milk her or go to the barn. Which is often as I have other goats I am waiting on to freshen. What do I do for her?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree.

Also, milk her out enough to make her comfortable and then put her kids on her.
Make sure her milk looks OK and no mastitis.
She wont accept the kid. Tried every thing I can think of, she will kick him away in the milking stand when I try to let him nurse, tried the dog crate, she stays as far away from him as she can in the kidding stall. Tried putting him in with her under supervision and she threatens him and wants to bite the back of his neck and throw him around. I put a small dog coat on him that covers his neck after rubbing it on her to save him from injury if she attempted to grab him. He is a bottle baby, I can't risk him getting hurt or worse.

No mastitis, I milk her 4 times a day at the moment, will slowly spread it out to every 12 as the baby grows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How sad, I am sorry mama is being that way. :(
Thank you, he is a happy house goat at the moment, no other current kids for him to chill with, so he is playing with my puppy and kids. He is a happy little bottle baby, mom is missing out. Stairs and couches are fun to him and so is making mom (me) sleep on the floor so he can share my blanket and pillow, lol. Kids are exhausting, but so worth it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This sounds crazy, but I had a mini Nubian mom that acted like this and she had a collar so I took it off and cut it to fit around the kids neck and duct taped it on and then she took the kid. But from yr to yr we never knew what to expect from her as a mom. One year her daughter from the previous yr took on her kids.
Gosh dang goats!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This sounds crazy, but I had a mini Nubian mom that acted like this and she had a collar so I took it off and cut it to fit around the kids neck and duct taped it on and then she took the kid. But from yr to yr we never knew what to expect from her as a mom. One year her daughter from the previous yr took on her kids.
Gosh dang goats!
That is crazy! Iris (momma goat) will cry for him and talk to him. He goes with me to the barn to feed everyone and just does goaty things while I tend everyone, but if he gets near her she goes all wacked out freaky. Its like she knows he is hers, but she isnt sure why or what shes supposed to do with him. Goats are weird.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts