The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice after a very weird afternoon. We have a Nigerian Dwarf who just became a new mom a few days ago. Today we put her out with the herd with another new mom MiniLamancha and her babies just to let everyone get some sunlight and fresh air. Our Mini is a super sweet mom and has two babies who were almost at a week old. Our Nigerian mom took one look at them ran at them full speed and head butted one of them hard. I quickly separated everyone and gave both moms/babies lots of space. But the Nigerian never took her eye off the other babies and as soon as she had another chance ran at them and tried to hit them hard.

Has anyone dealt with this before?? Is she just out of sorts from her kidding? (Entirely understandable if so - I had a rough time with have my kid and would totally get it!) She and her baby are back in their kidding stall resting together and I figured I would give her more time away. If she does this again, does anyone have any advice to help get her to stop attacking? We have other does due to kid in a few weeks, so I’m trying to get this dealt with safely and calmly but before things get busier. She can be a grump but generally a friendly goat.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hope someone has somee thoughts for you soon. I do agree separating is best until you get some advice.

I know my neighbors have goats that will butt the kids but they usually don't go out of their way, and only head butt if the other kids come too close

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is normal.
Glad to hear that - this is our time so just wanting to check! Will she calm down a bit in a few days and won't attack with the same intensity (our other doe who has not kidded yet gives the babies a tiny push if they get close).

Thank you!

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
I had a doe that was extremely protective of her babies..... I did not trust her around other kids until they were much older. She rammed one of my does this season causing premature delivery. She found a new home............sometimes they are just too over the top to be safe around your other goats..... I would separate her for now until babies are older and all your does have safely kidded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a doe that was extremely protective of her babies..... I did not trust her around other kids until they were much older. She rammed one of my does this season causing premature delivery. She found a new home............sometimes they are just too over the top to be safe around your other goats..... I would separate her for now until babies are older and all your does have safely kidded.
Thank you so much! I will continue to separate her and we'll see how she does.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Some do that, I hate when they do.

Be sure the kids can get away to a safe haven. Such as a creep feeder.

If though, they get too mean, you will have to separate her from the others, so she doesn't hurt the wee ones. Until the kids are older.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts