FF not letting milk down

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bleatinghearts, Apr 14, 2010.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    One of my goats kidded for the first time last night. Twins, boy and girl. They are great but not getting enough from Mom. Tonight, Holly has a tight tight utter, its warm but not hot or red but her teats are small and her milk just doesnt seem to be comming down. We've started bottle feeding and tryed milking her but are only getting a tiny stream and mostly from only one side. The color of the colostrom seens normal so I'm mixing it with the replacer. Any thoughts? Any tricks to getting her milk to come down?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    either seh doesnt want to let her milk down for you or she has a congested udder.

I would put warm compresses on her udder and massage vigorously and then milk - repeat. You need to do this several times a day for a couple days

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Take some disposable baby diapers and saturate them with water and then put then in the microwave until they are good and hot (not hot enough to burn but slightly uncomfortable). Hold them on her udder for 10-15 minutes and then give her an udder massage with Vicks Vapor Rub. This will help loosen thing up. You will probably have to repeat the process a few times through out the next 3-4 days.

4. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Thanks you guys. Ive been rubbing at diff times throughout the night, but not with vicks. I will try that and more heat. One more thing...If it is an issue where she doesnt want to let her milk down, do you think it could need more than heat and vigerous rubbing? Is there something I could get from the vet to help?

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The vet might give her oxytocin if she is not letting milk down...if it is udder congestion then the vet would probably use antidiuretics. She could benefit from the massage either way but to me this sounds like udder congestion so the warmth and Vicks to increase blood flow should help. Sometimes it can take quite a while (weeks in some cases) to go away completely...but you should see some improvement within a couple days...If you still can't get anything out of her in a day or so it might be a good idea to contact the vet.

Do you know her CAE status? Sometimes CAE causes udder conjestion that is nearly impossible to get rid of...

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Everyone has great advice.... :thumb: if you feel ...you want the vet to see her and give you advice...please do so.... :hug: I will pray for her.... :pray:

7. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I got a call back from the vet around 6:30 this morning, right after I read the first two replies and she said that it sounded like a congested udder. She also said that she thought it was too late for the oxytocin. All of your advice is right on.
    Speaking of praying for her...I was super tierd last night when I was trying to milk and rub her so I had my head on her side as I was doing it. I then asked for Gods help to get her and the babies through and had to chuckle to myself, because that was the oddest prayer stance I think I've ever been in! :laugh:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something else you could use is Peppermint oil. it is great. What I do is I offer the doe as much warm molasses water for as long as she wants it. The more she drinks the more she will make.

Keep massaging her, and those warm diapers. (that is a great idea)