The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Nigerian Dwarf Goats
35 Posts
Congratulations! Surprise babies are a surprise lol but fun! We had our first oopsy in 8 years of goat rearing this year. She gave us twin blue-eyed doelings!

I am assuming this is your first set of babies?

I will give you a few helpful links to our blog. We have a blog post all about preparing for kidding which goes through what we have in our kidding stall and how we set it up, shaving your goat's udder, rump, and tail to keep kidding clean as can be, and packing a kit for kidding.

Prepping for kidding: Prepping for Kidding/Freshening/Birthing of Nigerian Dwarf Goats

The next link here covers everything from telling when your goat is going to kid (checking udder fill, how to check ligaments, etc.) to what to do if things don't go as planned (stuck kid). We also have a few videos in there showing some goaty deliveries. That is helping as you can kind of prepare for what will be happening.

Delivering and how to tell when: What to Expect When Your Nigerian Dwarf is Giving Birth (Kidding/Freshening) and When to Worry

Last but not least our last kidding blog will walk through what to do after your goat kids. This covers everything from helping the doe along when the kid is partially out, to drying off the kid, tying umbilical cords, getting the kid on the teat nursing, things to watch for in the doe, after care for the doe, and even what to do to get the kid going after a rough delivery.

What to do after the kid is born: OK, Our Goat Kids Are Delivered, What Now? Anything We Should Watch For?

· Registered
Nigerian Dwarf Goats
35 Posts
If she was bread the day you picked her up (October 8th 2022) March second, 2023 would be her due date and the absolute last day she could safely kid would be March 12th but that is pushing it, by March 7th at the max I would guess. It is unlikely she was bred the exact day you picked her up and with how she looks now I would keep an eye out as she could kid any day. Be checking her ligaments when you feed her in the morning and at night, look for a lost plug, and get her shaved so you can take pictures of her udder and watch it fill. If you live in a selenium-deficient area it is recommended to give selenium and vitamin E gel a month before kidding so if in a deficient area getting that in right away is best. If you don't the kids can have loose legs. If so they will need to be braced for a while and given selenium and E gel once they are a day old.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts