fiber/dairy crosses

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by TroutRiver, Nov 25, 2010.

1. TroutRiver

TroutRiver New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Do any of you have experience with angora crosses (or cashmere crosses) for fiber and dairy production? This is something that I have been interested in for a long time, but have not been able to find anyone who has done it.

2. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i'm a newbie to fiber goats but i know about dairy goats. from what i've been learning you either get quality milk or you get quality wool. same for quantity. a dairy goats food works toward milk production. a fiber goats food works toward wool production. if you had a fiber-dairy cross you'd get half the milk and half the wool. or good quality/quantity milk but little wool. or good quality/quantity wool but little milk. just like chickens, you gotta pick meat or eggs? pick wool or milk? or you could do what i'm gonna try. one herd dairy and one herd fiber. thats how most homesteads wrk with chickens, one breed for eggs and one breed for meat.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I've milked some of my angora does ... beautiful milk ... really rich ... just not as much of it, maybe 1 - 2 litres per day, and I haven't tried it but I doubt they would do a 305 day lactation ...

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think ohiogoatgirl said it well. But that is not to be said like Keren that it can not be done. I do believe you will not get GREAT of either but if it is just for personal use it might well a great idea. Now the Angora goats are shorn twice a year and they do eat Alfalfa because they need the higher Protein for their fiber but the Cashmere need a lower protein diet and they are combed once a year.