The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am currently looking to get some Nigora goats, but I am not very familiar with caring for fiber goats.
Therefore, I had a few questions for those of you who own fiber/fiber mix goats.
  • Firstly, will I have to shear these goats annually? Or would I just be able to brush or pick out the fleece when they start to shed it?
  • I am planning on breeding them to a Nigerian buck. Will the dad be big enough to successfully breed the does? How much bigger are the Nigoras in comparison to normal Nigerian goats?
  • Is there anything else I should know about care for fiber goats that is different than other normal goats?
Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
752 Posts
She is so cute! I don't have nigoras but I did have a pygora for a while. You will need to shave her annually but it's really easy, more like clipping a dog than a "real" goat. I never got a nice fleece off of mine though. During the spring when we'd get a few rainy days, he'd get wet and then rub up against his spools and the fence and get himself all gross and matted. I expect he would have ruined his fleece from rubbing even without the rain, but it sure didn't help. When the fleece is clean and not matted, it's super soft and lovely to pet! Goats don't get all gross and lanolin-y like sheep do, so it's a much cleaner fiber. I eventually sold him because he was a little bigger and a lot heftier than my Nigerian does, and he was pushy with them about food lol. He was also kind of skittish and I got tired of chasing him every time I needed to trim hooves or give a copper bolus.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is so cute! I don't have nigoras but I did have a pygora for a while. You will need to shave her annually but it's really easy, more like clipping a dog than a "real" goat. I never got a nice fleece off of mine though. During the spring when we'd get a few rainy days, he'd get wet and then rub up against his spools and the fence and get himself all gross and matted. I expect he would have ruined his fleece from rubbing even without the rain, but it sure didn't help. When the fleece is clean and not matted, it's super soft and lovely to pet! Goats don't get all gross and lanolin-y like sheep do, so it's a much cleaner fiber. I eventually sold him because he was a little bigger and a lot heftier than my Nigerian does, and he was pushy with them about food lol. He was also kind of skittish and I got tired of chasing him every time I needed to trim hooves or give a copper bolus.
I'll definitely work on cleaning out her coat as soon as she settles down a bit!
We got her along with 2 other nigerian does, but they had basically been tossed out in the field after they were dam-raised. They're all a bit suspicious of everything and are currently trying to figure out what grain is. Hopefully, they'll come around soon; they all seem super sweet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.