The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you breed a Nigerien doe to a pygora or angora buck, what the chances of getting fiber babies? Is it possible to then use that fiber for spinning or felting? Could the babies come out like regular Nigerians?

Also, Do you need a lot of special equipment to harvest the fiber/in other words is it a large investment for one fiber goat.
How much work is it compared to a regular Nigerian to keep one?
Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also just remembered my other question- Will a Disbudded one be okay in the summer NJ heat? It can get pretty humid here. Could we time shearing so it would be full fleece in winter and shorn in the summer (i heard they are shorn spring and fall so guess it would be full fleece in august that would be like 90s here....)?

·
Super Moderator
59,718 Posts
You would probably have a better chance at decent fiber with an Angora goat. A Pygora already has the Pygmy coat in the genes. I'm guessing it would be 50/50 on fiber. At least they would be adorable.

You would need decent shears to shear them. I'm not sure if the cheap clippers will work on properly shearing them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would the chances be of getting fiber from the Nigerian / angora mix? 'As for the shearing, It's possible i could make a deal with my 4H leader when she does hers. I guess if i do want a fiber goat, i could always just buy one and not retain a kid from either of my two does (either said than done im sure) would the Nigora be bigger than a Nigerian?

·
Super Moderator
59,718 Posts
I would think about 50/50 but there are never any guarantees. I'm not sure on size since I have never owned an Angora goat.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Are you just looking for a tiny fiber producer?
By breeding with a non fiber goat, you are changing the fiber and taking the chance that it's going to be a lesser grade. If you start with an exceptional Pygmy or Nigerian and an Exceptional Angora, you'll have a better chance of getting decent fiber. I haven't played with breeding so this information is just from what I've researched on it. Angoras aren't super huge though they are bigger than the minis.

Here's the Nigora breeder's assoc http://nigoragoats.homestead.com/
And the Pygoras - http://www.pygoragoats.org/

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Nigerians and i'm not looking to necessarily switch to fiber, it's just i thought it would be nice to have one. They are cute and it would be cool to add one to the mix. But, i think it appears the best idea would be to just stick to breeding for Nigerians and if i want a fiber goat to purchase one. Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd call it a coin toss getting a nice fiber animal. I was lucky enough to get one really good fiber animal out of 4 from crossing nubian with angora. If you get a baby with nice type B or C pygora fiber, that is work to remove the coarse hair. Mine is really pretty and I'm a total fiber-holic, but its a time consuming labor of love getting the coarse hair out. Its beautiful and unique fiber but my gosh...slow going with mini-combs doing little bits at a time over and over, then looking at the finished product only to realize you have to repeat the process. lol Its beautiful when done though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've deiced that while i'm still open to fiber goats and am interested in pursuing them in the future, breeding pure ND is the best option right now. If i don't get a doelings to retain, then, i might consider purchasing a pygora or nygora. Thanks for all your help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts