The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We raise boer goats and have a handful of dairy. The boer are so destructive. A friend of ours just uses hit wire and uses jumpers so all the wires are hot. I worry about loss of power or weeds but I know we could put up fence so much faster. What do you guys use?

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Hey..i have field fence as my border of my property. I use chainlink over cattle panels with a top hot wire for my Buck pens. The fence around the birth barn is 2 × 4 rectangular. The other fence that seperates Does paddocks are field fence.
I use a Solar powered Fence Charger. Parmak brand. I cant say enough.good things about it. It burns the weeds. So I really promote them.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
We raise boer goats and have a handful of dairy. The boer are so destructive. A friend of ours just uses hit wire and uses jumpers so all the wires are hot. I worry about loss of power or weeds but I know we could put up fence so much faster. What do you guys use?
We have both and like both. For different reasons. Some is the 2x4 fence only and other is five wires of holy cow hot only. The important thing if just using hot wire is to keep it very hot at least to start off with. They will hit it and learn respect of the hot very fast. After that they will not WANT to get near it to see if it is hot. So when the power might go out they wont know the difference. You do have to keep the weeds off it. And you have to remember to check the voltage daily and after every storm.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We have both, along with sheep and goat fence. The field fence was already up on the perimeter so we added hot wire to the top and ran a low strand to keep them away from the bottom. We have ND and they simply love a challenge for escape. The hot wire backs them off quickly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hot wire. Cheaper and easier to maintain. It is a psychological barrier so you need them to fear it. Use a larger size Energizer so you push 7000 v or more. I like it for easy of installation. On rolling hilly ground it is so much easier than welded wire fence. Plus you can set it up so it works equally well I. Dry or wet ground.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had 6 wire all hot but two new Nigerian Dwarf goats and extreme drought had me add 3 more wires toward the ground that were directly hooked to grounding. They respect fence now.
Fence now from bottom up; hot, ground, hot, ground, hot , ground, hot, hot, hot. I also have a Saanen (big tall goat). Total is about 48" high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts