Fighting Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have 2 mature does that have decided to start fighting. They have been friends all along and now for the past 2 days, I have to separate them. They are serious about it.....Any thoughts on why they are doing this and what to do to make peace again. Thanks

2. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

In my herd, it is usually some sort of hormonal shift. Next it is a hierarchy dust-up. I suppose it could also be a matter of a rumour mill speculation gone awry.

Usually I watch close and take collars off if needed (mine are horned and they know how to hook collars) I'm really sorry they aren't playing nice. Sometimes we just don't figure it out until the New World Order is revealed.

groovyoldlady, peggy and Goats Rock like this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Are they pregnant?

peggy likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know what you mean, I swear one says something bad about the other and the fight is on.

If they are not pregnant and not penning up legs or causing injury, they need to battle it out.

Even when they are separated, it will all start again.

I make sure other goats, do not try to interfere and will steer those goats away so it is 1 on 1 only.

If it goes on too long and they are over heating or panting, I will feed all the goats some hay and try to move them away from each other in different area's so they may try to eat and get their minds off of the battle.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If they go back to it that is OK, they will eventually give up and 1 will be a winner.

If however, one tries to walk away (surrender), try to get the bully to go away and leave her alone.
    A squirt bottle or something to steer her away helps calm things down. Or feed the goats.

mariarose, peggy and lhorning like this.
  5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks guys for your thoughts. The does are mature does, 5 and 8 and are mother and daughter. They are not bred this year. I think what ever was bothering them seems that they have worked it out. They seem to be friends again. Boy, that is good cause I was getting worried and both does are keepers so no chance of parting with one. I did notice when they were fighting that some of the wethers would crowd around like they were cheering them on or something...lol... aren't animals funny, they are so human at times...lol...

6. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Is the mother goat the herd queen? I've seen where the herd queen's daughter will suddenly try to dominate her, and you have fighting going on for a few days.

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    The two have always seemed to rule together but maybe one wants to be top. But for the time being, there is peace.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Must be the time of year, I had goat battles the last few days, but mine are the bottom 3 fighting. The rest ring them and like you said, egg them on!

9. i recall watching two very large (and pregnant does) battling for dominance in an open area, the queen being polled and the challenger horned. though they fought head to head (mostly pushing and such)by the 'goat marque of queensberry rules', they both were still panting something fierce afterwards but stopped once an understanding was reached and without having to separate them.

goat herd behavior is just brutal-- but perfectly in line with the behaviors of natural selection. many times i've seen my queen bully her daughters and i feel for them with my human feelings, but in all honestly the lower goat thrives to challenge and also to know it's place in a hierarchy, that is it's safety.
    (if there was any disproportionate and unfair abuse--> it was because of the layout of my barn, my choice in fencing, the chokepoints i overlooked) so i take it into account and try to make it to the low goat's advantage to be able to move and not get caught in a chokepoint when the queen says "move". However there are a lot of variables unique to individual goats(pregnancy, physical health) and owners (playing with the cards you're dealt, so to speak), and i recognize that.

but you know, with spring rolling in, they're sure to be feeling spunky and maybe daughter goat thinks mom might be off her game ;)

Goat_Scout, SalteyLove and mariarose like this.
  10. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    you may want to try a ram shield
    Premier one supply has them
    part # 505800