The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nigerian dwarf goat Annie has gotten hit with pregnancy toxemia. Symptoms started late Monday evening. She just seemed tired and struggling with the pregnancy load. But then stopped eating grain and moaning and laying down all the time. Vet was out yesterday and we started some propylene glycol drenches so that her body starts functioning again. She is a first fresher and pregnant with triplets.

She started to be on her feet more today. I have seen her eat some hay, some grass, some grains and some water but not a whole lot of any of them. has anyone had positive outcomes with mama and babies if they perked back up quickly?

i am trying to be hopeful but realistic with my expectations. We really don’t want to loose Annie. Her estimated due date is March 19th so induction would result most likely in death for all the babies. We are prepared if that’s what we have to do to save her.

i am not sleeping and struggling with this emotionally and physically.

· Registered
11,167 Posts
That is GREAT that she is back up and eating within 24 hours of prop. Glycol.

People on the forum here have totally pulled does and kids through nursing 14 days of toxemia. What would be good is if you can manage it with drenched of karo syrup, corn oil, and molasses rather than prop glycol if possible. Also add cracked corn to her diet.

I'll try to tag a few people who have gotten through does. Chin up, you got this!

@HoosierShadow

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So she is improving. Only doing 2 PG drenches a day. She is up and moving and has resumed daily activity. Trying to decide if i back off the PG and see if she will continue to improve without it. Added the cracked corn and she is into it for sure! She ate 6oz of grain at around noon today and had eaten quite a bit of forage. Drinking water and stools resuming normal as well.

anyone have thoughts?

15,535 Posts
How are her ketones? Are they negative? Are you giving her any calcium?

I agree if you try to wean her off of the PG, then do it slowly. It's hard on the gut/organs, so I honestly don't care for using much of that stuff.

I think an issue with using the pregnancy toxemia drenches like Magic is, did you do a full size goat dose? I want to say most of those drenches are from Boer goat breeders, and I'd think a smaller goat wouldn't require as much? I have Boer so I honestly am not sure if they should get about the same or half of what you'd give a standard sized goat (someone can chime in if you'd like!).

So if things go down hill and you need to change your recipe... keep this one in mind. But again I am not sure of the dosage for a ND, this was formulated for Boer goats. A friend gave it to me and it worked on bringing ketones down on a friends goat a few weeks ago.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

keep putting a buffet of food in front of her, offering her regular water and electrolyte water, anything you can for energy. But remember that calcium, I'd think with a dairy breed they need plenty of calcium.

Toxemia is definitely no fun, but if they respond and continue to do well with your help you can definitely get her closer to her due date. We've had issues with toxemia in does carrying triplets, it's no fun, so I totally understand! It's emotionally wrecking and I'm right there with you on losing sleep. Totally sympathize, and just wanted to let you know, your not alone, and you and Annie and her babies will be in my thoughts and prayers!

· Registered
4,702 Posts
PG is rough on the goats stomach, I always use molasses or karo with powdered vitamin B complex added. That has always worked for me. If they are eating, I add a bit of rice bran to their grain for added calories/energy.

Glad your girl is responding and doing better!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is doing really well. Her ketones went from low to trace and now to negative over the last 24 hours. She has started signs of laboring though. I hope she is strong enough for this process. She has been eating and drinking though so i am hopeful. Also hope i was wrong on her expected due date as she is more than 10 days early. I figured the stress on the toxemia May have pushed her into labor or she is possibly loosing the babies. I guess i won’t know until it all goes down so i am trying to stay rested and hopeful!

thanks!

· Premium Member
8,384 Posts
I hope everything turns out ok. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!
Hang in there!
Just a few ideas...
If the babies are viable do you have dex on hand? That helps with lung development and really watching that they stay warm enough is critical. Do you have a heating pad or warming box with heat lamp?
You might need to tube feed them so a weak kid syringe kit is good to grab as well.

Good luck!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Annie kidded on Saturday March 14. She had triplets but of course it was frigid that morning and one of the babies was just too cold and she couldn’t clean them by the time i arrived. Very sad, but she had 2 very good looking kids that i focused on helping her dry. She was very tired and not super interested in doing the work. But she did and everyone took to nursing right away. She is doing well and eating and so are the babies. Based on their size i don’t know that they were too early. I thought she was due around the 19th so not bad. Still monitoring and caring for everyone with caution.

thank you for the support!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.