Finally Babies!!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sauncy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    :leap: Hi all, We had 2 beautiful does this afternoon!!! 50 degress Thank God.! and Thank you God! We expect our other doe to kid tonight then we will get a break for a couple of week! It was Harmony's first freshening and were so excited and worried but all went well

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congratulations :girl: :girl:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Way to go. Congratulations. :stars: :stars: :dance:

4. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Hey, How often should the kids nurse? Any ideas, They are still a little weak. Just Curious what you pros think!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they should get a good tummy full in the first few hours. I like for them to get a good meal by the time they are an hour old and know where to get more. If you need to direct them to the teat to nurse. How is mom?

I would give mom some molasses water. I mix in enough molasses tomake the water muddy in color. I like to make it semi warm as they like that on chilly nights.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats.... :greengrin:

7. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Congratulations on beautiful babys.

8. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    CONGRATS! They're too cute for words!

When I'm in doubt I milk some colostrum out and syringe it into the kids for a feeding or two at the rate of 1 oz per lb...perks them up quick!

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congratulations!!!!

And :girl: :girl: too :stars:

If you have seen the babies nursing....first thing to see is they are on their knees and their little tails are wagging, if they found the teat they will nurse til they are full and likely go to sleep, wait an hour or so and wake them up....mom will take care of the rest and nudge them towards the teats...you may need to guide them a few times but they get the hang of it pretty quickly.

10. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    One is nursing good, but the other only takes a couple of drinks and then is done. Harmony seem to be doing well, She passed the afterbirth fine, but ist still having a little pain. I figure mild contractions. She has eaten some grain, drank quite a bit of warm water with vineagar and eaten some warm oatmeal and lots of hay oh and a bananna. She is exhausted tonight, understandably! I am a nervous Mama, just curious if I should get them up every hour or 2 to nurse. Any suggestions are appreciated!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The one that seems to not want to nurse as vigorously I would watch...they do get very obvious "bellies" on them when they have had their fill, you would be surprised! As long as she has gotten a few ounces of colostrum in her she'll be fine, though I would do a check and a "wake up" call on them to be sure se gets a bit more before you head to bed....no need to be up every 2 hours...though I know it'll be hard not to!

12. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Thanks Liz, I am sleeping in the barn tonight as I have another doe that is waxed over and 152 days today. I think I am just worried, I lost a Boer doe/kid last year and I hope the same thing doesn't happen this year.

13. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Pretty, pretty doelings.
    :applaud:
    More gorgeous frosty ears. Gotta love'em. :love:

Anna

14. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :stars:

15. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Thanks for all the congrats! We only have one more doe to go and she is around 138 days, so we will be done this month :clap: . I love the excitement but am glad when I can relax and watch them grow! :sun: This was my second doe even though it is a weird angle it was cute of all three

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh that is very sweet :love:

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Nice to hear that all is doing fine. Did that one ever pick up her amount that she nurses?

18. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Yes They all are nursing but still don't seem to get their bellies full. I milked both does and got 32 oz each and releived a little preesure hoping that makes the milk easier for them to get. They are such good Moms and didn't seem to care that I was milking them and that is really the first time they have been milked.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would get a weight on teh kids so you can weigh them each day to make sure they are growing.

That udder looks full -was that before or after you milked?

20. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    That was after I milked and there was still plenty of milk in there. It worries :worried: me a little bit as I can feel some slight hard spots around the teats. I hope its not mastitis. When I milked her there was no sign of blood or anything unusual with the milk. Her udder was huge the day she kidded and it was like I could see a 3rd udder from the rear. It is kind of hard to explain. The kids are doing pretty good yesterday heard a little rattling and treated with VetRX. I hope that takes care of it. I will treat 3-4 times/day for a couple of days. One of the kids has really crooked legs almost similar to rickets and she is the sweetest one. Hayley the Mom wasn't really that big so she mights just have been cramped in the womb :pray: . The kids were trying to play yesterday and still wobbly it was so funny to watch them. Now when I come into the birthing room (1:45am)they all jump up and start nursing. I will take my scale out and weigh them as I had planned yesterday but got sidetracked. Thanks for all of the support..Our other doe Jorjie is getting huge We really feel she might have triplets!!!!!!