The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought Bambi a little over two weeks ago.
I got him into the vet and he's now banded, vaccinated, and I had a fecal done.
Apparently he has a very very high worm load. Bambi always looked small to me for being 5 months and now I know why he was so small. The worms must have stunted his growth.
He's getting dewormed at the vet.
I was wondering will he grow now that his worm load is gone?
I picked him up some probiotics cause I know he's going to be stressed from all this.
Should I give him extra groceries to help make up for lost time or just keep feeding him how I have been?

·
Super Moderator
59,927 Posts
You can slowly increase his feed. You should never make any abrupt dietary changes.

He may or may not be permanently stunted. Time will tell.

What worms does he have and how exactly is the vet treating for it? You need to know. Don't just blindly give him stuff you know nothing about. Learn what is being given, the dosage and why it is being given. You should also know exactly which worms he has.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
with stunted growth, there is a small chance of catch up..most stay stunted...he will grow ..but good chance not up to his peers (although depending on the damage he might do just fine!)...the biggest issue of a stunted goat from worm load is the damage to the intestines...scaring can make it hard to digest and there for growth will be slow, some have issues with loose stools when too much grain is introduced (treat with pepto)...you can increase his feed some until he gains some weight and looks good,even if he is still a little small, but quality grass hay, loose minerals and being worm free is his best diet...you can add BOSS and Flax seed for added protien and healthy fat...wheat germ helps with skin and coat...I like to blend the flax and wheat germ in coconut oil and feed 1-2 tablespoons a day...do add new foods slowly to allow time for his rumen to adjust...

I agree with Karen...you need to know what the worm load is, and how its being treated...for ex: liver fluke can only be treated with two wormers for success....if its not being targeted..then he will still be wormy...or if the dose is too low for a goat...then it will do little good...

best wishes

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vet didn't tell me what kind he said he had "a bunch of different kinds". I'll ask him for specifics when I go to pick Bambi up. I'm guessing though he's going to be giving him a broad spectrum wormer he said he's going to send some home with us aswell.
I'll get a lot more info about how we're treating him and such when I go to pick him up and I'll update the topic with added information.

I hope he isn't permanently stunted, I never saw any weird poops or worms in his stool so I didn't think he'd have such a big load. :(

·
Super Moderator
59,927 Posts
That is the fallacy with worms. You can have dark pink eyelids and normal stool and still have a high wormload. By the time they have pale eyelids and diarrhea, they have had a bad wormload for a long time.

His size, weight and rough dry coat were your signs of a bad wormload.

But now you have learned and will know the signs of worms now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one last question, I thought he was naturally polled.. could he now start to grow horns or would he have some sort of sign of horns if he were to get them?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His coat was never rough or dry it was shiny and soft.
Yeah him being so small was a good sign I'd just thought his age was wrong but from now on if I have a feeling in my gut something isn't right it's off to the vet.

·
Super Moderator
59,927 Posts
He could have been disbudded too. If he doesn't have horns now, then he is either polled or disbudded. Even with being stunted, there should be some horn growth.

There was a picture of him that his coat looked shaggy and rough. When they have proper mineral and have proper copper and selenium, their coat should look sleek and nice.

Always good to keep learning and go with your gut instincts.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
also be sure to check for anemia...heavy worm load really drains them...Im sure you vet checked but just in case...Check the inner lower eye lids for color...they should be deep pink to red...here is a link to show you how : )

http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UpzaCWRDtXc

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
His eyelids are red/pink prolly the second on the chart so okay.
I went to the vet to pick him up and they were so busy and it was so chaotic I couldn't talk to the vet, the waiting room was full to the brim and the nurses there are... not very knowledgeable and just gave me him and ran pretty much. But he gave me four doses of Fenbendazole to give once a day until its gone.

Bambi is really uncomfortable he goes to lay down then gets back up because of the band. Could I give him ibuprofen or anything to take the edge off?

EDIT: also wanna add he had lice when I got him so he likely was anemic before I treated him for that. Idk if that makes a difference in anything.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Good news on the eye color!!! and getting rid of the lice!
Banding is uncomfortable..poor guy...you can give a regualar chewable baby aspirin...maybe two..depending on how big he is...it will help cut some of the pain and swelling...

to see if he is polled or disbudded,,, rub his horn area...a polled goat will have smooth round lumps, where horns would have been...disbudded will have a rough area where the horns were...some might even have a scabby feeling...

the wormer is basically Safguard I believe...I would have another fecal done about a week after his last dose to be sureit was effective...if he is still wormy, try valbazen..its a broad spectrum wormer ..1 cc per 10# orally

1 - 11 of 11 Posts