The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my first Nubian doe. She is 18 months old. She is very sweet but I'm a little worried. The breeder said to give her alfalfa pellets, costal Bermuda hay and one qt. Nobal Goat medicated meat goat pellet twice daily. She hasn't been eating any where near that much, maybe half that. She also isn't real hot on raisins, bread, TS goat treats or animal crackers but she will eat them. She is dry and was bred Oct. 5th. I have her in with a rescue goat in a 20' by 25' pen. Once she acclimated I can turn them into a one acre pasture. What do you think of her? Also, any idea what the recurve goat is?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Very pretty girl. She just needs time to get used to her new home.

Is the rescue shorter? She is so stocky maybe there is some Boer or Pygmy in there. Maybe some Alpine or Nigerian Dwarf. Have to admit she has me stumped. Maybe a heinz 57 type.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Rescue goat looks like a Pygmy cross to me. Dorsal stripe, socks, facial markings, ears, horns, and conformation all point toward Pyg. Don't know what the cross is, though.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
She might just be stressed form the move. You will actually want to take her off of grain pretty soon anyway- pregnant does only need grain for the first few weeks after breeding, then alfalfa the rest of the time. if you grain them the whole time, the kids will grow too much and make the birth very difficult.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
She looks pretty nice. Once she gets used to you she will start eating better.

I would cut that string collar off. I got a buck from a gal and he had one on, only because his other collar was a break away. She warned me to take the string off because she had someone leave it on their goat one time (after she told them to remove it) and the goat hung himself :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the string collar. I tried leaving a halter on her but she hated it and kept pawing at it. Is there anything I can leave around her neck all the time that would allow me to lead her around? I have bailing twine tied around all our horses necks for a quick and easy lead. They are strong and tough enough that if they get it caught on something they can pull back and break it with out hurting themselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a very new goat mommy lol but mine acted the same way
I sat with them and talked to them the first couple days, only a few minutes at a time, and they came around. Even our skiddish breeder buck comes and puts his chin in my hand now :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I removed the string collar. I tried leaving a halter on her but she hated it and kept pawing at it. Is there anything I can leave around her neck all the time that would allow me to lead her around? I have bailing twine tied around all our horses necks for a quick and easy lead. They are strong and tough enough that if they get it caught on something they can pull back and break it with out hurting themselves.
Love her face and her coloring , such a pretty girl :) The rescue is adorable !
Very pretty :) Congrats on your Nubian , enjoy her !

Just be careful with collars , too many things have happened and strange enough , there are instances where they "can't" pull away to break it and can get seriously hurt if not killed. Believe me , I had it happen to me.
I even had a break away link on the collar but it was in such a position that it couldn't break or pull off and my goat would have broke her leg and the other might have suffocated. Please , please , please be careful.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You can put a regular dog collar on her. I like the ones with the plastic snap, they will typically come open if they pull hard enough. I also use the plastic chain collars on mine.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Both does are beautiful! Congrats

1 - 12 of 12 Posts