Finally they're here! Good and Bad news...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NightHawk, Apr 1, 2008.

1. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    So I went out to check the does once again and this time I could hear new whines from the barn. I ran into the goat pen to find a baby standing and whining, one still wrapped in the sack dead, and one laying on the ground barely breathing. I picked the one off the ground and quickly made sure his nostrils and mouth were clear. The kids were a mess. I ran him into the house rubbing him all the while to warm him up. I ran in and quickly told my mom what was going on. She took the baby I was holding and I rushed back out to the barn to check on Promise and her other baby. It was quite the day yesterday. These are Promise's 1st triplets. They are so tiny. I was worrried about the little one that was having some trouble at first. He wasn't interested in standing up and moving much or drinking any of mommy's colostum. But now he is doing as well as the first one. I'm so excited!
    Now mommy goat is happy and the two kids are back in the barn after spending the night in our bathtub. They are adorable. I was really sad that I wasn't there for the birth; I was only a few minutes late. I think the dead one was born like that, but I don't have enough experiance to know for sure. I wish I could of been there just in case their was something I could of done. I'm really happy that their mom is okay though and that I got two kids out of the deal! Unfortunetly they're both boys. Oh well, they're still cute :)

2. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Oh, and here are some pictures to go along with the story...

[​IMG]

They were really messy...so we gave them warm baths.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they spent the night in our bathtub...
    [​IMG]

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe they are handsome little things!

Congratulations :cool:

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So cute! I never thought of the bathtub as a goat enclosure, but it works!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What adorable babies. Congratulations. Looks like you have a wonderful baby sitter. :cool:

6. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Thanks everyone. My mom came up with the bathtub idea as opposed to wasting a cardboard box. It made it easy to clean afterwards. Of course, I think Silver (the dog) was disappointed that they couldn't sleep by the door with her :)

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How pretty and white they are!! You did good with them and sorry about the 3rd one not surviving :cry: these little ones look like they'll do just fine with mom.

8. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Congratulations! They're beautiful.

How much did they weight and what type of goats are these? They appear large.

9. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Oh, bummer. I knew I forgot something! I didn't weigh them. I think they're pretty small though. But they are mostly Saanen (3/4 Saanen & 1/4 Alpine) so they'll be big.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh they are cute!! Glad I"m not the only person who keeps goats in the bath tub :D Works for about two weeks before the springs are fully developed in their legs :wink: :lol:

11. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Well, they only stayed in the bathtub the first night. Now they are back at the barn. They still come into the house and stay by the door while we feed them though. It's a lot warmer.

I know what you mean about the springs in their legs! They are already begining to jump around and climb on things!