The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to check the does once again and this time I could hear new whines from the barn. I ran into the goat pen to find a baby standing and whining, one still wrapped in the sack dead, and one laying on the ground barely breathing. I picked the one off the ground and quickly made sure his nostrils and mouth were clear. The kids were a mess. I ran him into the house rubbing him all the while to warm him up. I ran in and quickly told my mom what was going on. She took the baby I was holding and I rushed back out to the barn to check on Promise and her other baby. It was quite the day yesterday. These are Promise's 1st triplets. They are so tiny. I was worrried about the little one that was having some trouble at first. He wasn't interested in standing up and moving much or drinking any of mommy's colostum. But now he is doing as well as the first one. I'm so excited!
Now mommy goat is happy and the two kids are back in the barn after spending the night in our bathtub. They are adorable. I was really sad that I wasn't there for the birth; I was only a few minutes late. I think the dead one was born like that, but I don't have enough experiance to know for sure. I wish I could of been there just in case their was something I could of done. I'm really happy that their mom is okay though and that I got two kids out of the deal! Unfortunetly they're both boys. Oh well, they're still cute :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and here are some pictures to go along with the story...

They were really messy...so we gave them warm baths.

And they spent the night in our bathtub...

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
What adorable babies. Congratulations. Looks like you have a wonderful baby sitter. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. My mom came up with the bathtub idea as opposed to wasting a cardboard box. It made it easy to clean afterwards. Of course, I think Silver (the dog) was disappointed that they couldn't sleep by the door with her :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Congratulations! They're beautiful.

How much did they weight and what type of goats are these? They appear large.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, bummer. I knew I forgot something! I didn't weigh them. I think they're pretty small though. But they are mostly Saanen (3/4 Saanen & 1/4 Alpine) so they'll be big.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Oh they are cute!! Glad I"m not the only person who keeps goats in the bath tub :D Works for about two weeks before the springs are fully developed in their legs :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, they only stayed in the bathtub the first night. Now they are back at the barn. They still come into the house and stay by the door while we feed them though. It's a lot warmer.

I know what you mean about the springs in their legs! They are already begining to jump around and climb on things!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts