The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking about breeding my two girls, but I've heard other people say they have had problems finding a buck to breed to. So what's the best way to find a buck? Is it okay to ask the ND breeders in my area if i could pay for them to be bred, or is that weird to ask? What do you guys do to find one?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
If you go to the AGS or NDGA web pages and check out breeder listings for your area, you may find a breeder close enough that offers stud service.
It also may be a difficult thing to find too as most are like me, closed herd , health tested and don't offer stud services.

You may also want to contact the breeder your goats came from, I try and point any in a good direction should previous buyers contact me.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go to the AGS or NDGA web pages and check out breeder listings for your area, you may find a breeder close enough that offers stud service.
It also may be a difficult thing to find too as most are like me, closed herd , health tested and don't offer stud services.

You may also want to contact the breeder your goats came from, I try and point any in a good direction should previous buyers contact me.
Thanks! When I bought them their breeder had just gotten their first buck so I can have them bred there if I have to, but it's far away so I'm was hoping to find something closer. :p

·
Registered
402 Posts
Summer is a good time to start emailing breeders about buck service. I did a search for all breeders websites in my area, and also looked on craigslist. if you are a member of ADGA look in your current membership book. I emailed breeders inquiring about it until I found one that was offering buck service. Keep in contact with the ones you find and let them know you'll be informing them of your doe's first heat cycle. From that first cycle you can predict when her next one will be and then plan on a tentative breeding date, so it won't be last minute or inconvenient when the time comes up. That's what we did last year to get our does bred.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Summer is a good time to start emailing breeders about buck service. I did a search for all breeders websites in my area, and also looked on craigslist. if you are a member of ADGA look in your current membership book. I emailed breeders inquiring about it until I found one that was offering buck service. Keep in contact with the ones you find and let them know you'll be informing them of your doe's first heat cycle. From that first cycle you can predict when her next one will be and then plan on a tentative breeding date, so it won't be last minute or inconvenient when the time comes up. That's what we did last year to get our does bred.
I actually just joined ADGA, so I'll get the book and look at it!! Thanks, I hadn't even thought to look there. I appreciate all the info, this all so new to me!

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
Definitely find one and make plans now. My buck is already booked solid this year.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I offer stud services but like goathiker he is already booked for 2 other farms besides mine and I may not even let him go out to another. So, yes now is the time to book your buck service.

breeders in my area know I offer buck service so they send people my way as most do not offer buck services.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was able to find a locale breeder on craigs list in my area. registered heard and all tested
I paid $50.00 each and supplied there grain and hay for there stay

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh wow, I guess I'll get on finding one right now then! Luckily I just found out Maryland has a dairy goat association with a list of breeders that offer stud services, so I've got a lot to go on. :) wish me luck everybody! Lol

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
One last question.. My doeling will be 9 months old by september, although I wouldn't breed her till late fall. Is that too young? I don't want to set her up to have problems in the future.

The breeder I bought them from said she could be bred in the fall.. But I still wonder :p

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I read somewhere that it's not age of the doe that determines breeding, but weight. i read full sized does need to be at least 80 lbs, but i'm not sure about NDs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts