The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started with 3 wethers, so that we would not have to worry about milking a goat, and just wanted weed control for our new 33 acre farm. We finally got 2 nanny goats, and we are ready to start milking, but not sure how to go about getting them bred. I looked on ADGA website, and cannot seem to find the listing to which everyone refers. Our goats are not pure bred, so we are not looking for a show goat, but we are worried about disease etc. How do we start? I have asked several breeders, and they don't stud for the same reason we are concerned - disease etc. We do not want a permanent buck - our wethers are difficult enough to keep in the pen. With everyone milking goats, how do they keep their does bred? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have my own bucks and I wouldn't lease them to anyone who didn't get their goats from me. And even for them, I'll usually only do it once.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I found someone on craigslist. Maybe that's not the recommended method, but that's what I did. I posted an ad that I was looking for a buck to breed to my girls, what exactly I was looking for, and asked for costs and protocols for them. I only have 3 does and she doesn't have a lot of goats either, so we just trusted each other and didn't do testing. It worked out for me. I'm not saying it'll work out for you. But now I also have someone I can go back to next year and use again. She's in GA with a ND buck if you want me to pass along your info.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Vamcbride-- We're in Gainesville, GA, not too far from you. I have some lovely little bucks that need new homes, if you're interested. As someone else pointed out, you could always resell one if you decide you need to later on. My herd is free from CL and CAE, and also free of the G6S gene that can cause problems in Nubians. We don't show or register our goats. They are raised with lots of love and attention, and are quite friendly. Let me know if you'd like pics. Bo is 1/2 mini Nubian and 1/2 mini LaMancha. Jig is 1/2 Nubian and 1/2 mini Nubian. And Tango is a third generation mini Nubian.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found someone on craigslist. Maybe that's not the recommended method, but that's what I did. I posted an ad that I was looking for a buck to breed to my girls, what exactly I was looking for, and asked for costs and protocols for them. I only have 3 does and she doesn't have a lot of goats either, so we just trusted each other and didn't do testing. It worked out for me. I'm not saying it'll work out for you. But now I also have someone I can go back to next year and use again. She's in GA with a ND buck if you want me to pass along your info.
I would love to get in touch. Our goats are Nigerian Dwarves too. The wethers are pure Nigerian dwarf, and 2 pure Nigerian pygmies, but the Nanny's I have my doubts. They seem larger than dwarves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vamcbride-- We're in Gainesville, GA, not too far from you. I have some lovely little bucks that need new homes, if you're interested. As someone else pointed out, you could always resell one if you decide you need to later on. My herd is free from CL and CAE, and also free of the G6S gene that can cause problems in Nubians. We don't show or register our goats. They are raised with lots of love and attention, and are quite friendly. Let me know if you'd like pics. Bo is 1/2 mini Nubian and 1/2 mini LaMancha. Jig is 1/2 Nubian and 1/2 mini Nubian. And Tango is a third generation mini Nubian.
Thank you for your reply. We are considering going this route. We love our wethers, so would not mind creating one after he is done. I really wanted mini nubians, but ended up with Nigerians. How much are your bucks in case we go this route?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got a few pictures today. They aren't great, but hopefully you can get some idea from them. I'm asking $75 each for the bucklings, or I'll give you an even better deal if you want all three of them :)

I started out much the same way you are-- with only does, and no wish for a permanent buck at our place. But I gotta tell ya', it sure is nice to not have to worry about when (or if) my does are in heat. And it hasn't been too bad, trying to keep them separated.

If you'd like to come meet them some time, send me a pm. No obligation. If you decide you'd rather go a different route, that's cool too.

The first 2 pix are Jig. Pix 3 and 4 are Bo. And the last 2 are Tango.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts