The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does I want to breed to a dairy buck. What's the best way to go about finding one? I don't want to buy one as I plan on keeping the girl kids.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You could try finding out if maybe your state has a club that you can contact breeders through.

You can also give details of what area you live in in hopes that someone has a buck you could breed to . :)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
What breeds/crosses are your does, and are they registered? These things will help determine what buck you want them bred to. Whatever buck you choose, go for one with good conformation and looks, and one that will improve any faults your does have.....

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
And I would either contact local clubs, or go on craigslist for stud service. Maybe you can find a local breeder you can bring your goats to, or vice-versa.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What breeds/crosses are your does, and are they registered? These things will help determine what buck you want them bred to. Whatever buck you choose, go for one with good conformation and looks, and one that will improve any faults your does have.....
I'm not interested in anything fancy. My does are unregistered Savannah Boer crosses. I'm going to try to milk them and their kids, and I want to breed toward better milk production.

I would probably want an unregistered Kiko, Nigerian Dwarf or Nubian buck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P. S. I've looked on the internet, but it seems like only the purebred registered kind that costs a lot are on there. I'll keep checking Craigslist, though.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
IMO, anything with good milking lines is going to cost at least a little bit. At least 50 dollars.

It's not so much breeding for what's "fancy" but for what produces and works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts