fingers crossed that flo and the babies make it

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Graffogefarms, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    We had to get the vet out today to do an emergency c-section on flo. She seemed extremely weak. I had gone out to do one of the school runs and she was on her side. i called the vet while holding her propped up, and arranged for the eldest to take the bus home and had my brother get my daughter in town after school,Anyway, after the two babies were removed (full term - girl & boy) she seemed to start perking up, and chewing her cud. She is not out of the woods yet, neither are the babies, so please keep your fingers crossed and all in the prayers. thanks.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am :pray: for you, mommy and the kids.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    :pray: coming to you from TN

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Good job getting her the help she needed. I will be praying for all to have a speedy recovery.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, Congratulations on the babies. :girl: :boy: and great job on the quick think.

I do have a question, Shy do you think something might go wrong other then the C Section and all healing? I have never had to have a c Section on a goat, so i have no idea what all you have to go thru.
    Good Luck and sending prayers :pray: for a speedy recovery.

6. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Flo started perking up but went back down hill, she never stood up, and I think it is just a matter of time before she passes. Have left the two babies by her head, and am checking frequently. I could really use some sleep! :coffee: u learn each day! Im still sticking with it.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Have you given her any Vit B? To help perk her up? What about the coffee, whiskey, and Karo syrup? I am praying. Have the kids nursed at all form her?

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My thoughts are with you and all the goaties! I hope momma can pull through.

Are the babies nursing or are you bottle raising them??

Good Luck!

Allison

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    :pray: We're praying that mom and babies all pull through this. :hug: Good luck!

10. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    C-sections are really hard on goats and many do not make a recovery and die. Good job keeping her babies near by. If you can get her nursing the babies somehow I do know that helps with the recovery. Also making sure she is eating and ruminating is very important. If she stops ruminating she will die. If you have some beetpulp and can grind it up and make a soupy warm mess out of it and drench it down her that could help her keep her rumen going.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry you had to go thru this, but very quick thinking on your part to save those babies. I am praying she pulls thru and can care for them :pray:

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Hoping that she is recovering-I'll be keeping her in my thoughts.

13. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Unfortunately, Flo did not make it. I knew it in my heart that she wouldnt - which is why I called the vet to do the c-section. The other bit of bad news because I listed to others, instead of my gut, when I found one of flicka's little ones stumbling and dying and brought both in. Everyone told me (here ) to put the other one back with the mother, and this morning it looks like she lay on it. Should have listened to my own instinct and kept it in the house here. Well - i guess we can get the colustrom off flicka for Flo's. The other thing - I tried to milk some colustrom off flo while she was still alive, and it was dark brown. I didnt give it to the babies. At least we got them, and hopefully they make it, if we hadnt did the c-section the babies and flo would have been lost. The vet named them hansel and gretel.

On the happy side - Lola finally kidded a big silver tog girl! Saw it jumping around her this morning!

14. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So sorry for your loss, prayers the kids make it. Di

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So sorry you received some advise that didn't work out for you (I don't even remember the post :oops: ) but you are right, always go with your gut.

Congratulations on the doeling. :cool:

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry for your loss on the doe and doeling, hope the babies thrive for you and so sorry you mistook a members' good intentions as " bad advice", I am positive there was no harm meant to happen to the doeling, sorry you lost her, hugs and prayers for you :pray: :hug:

17. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    no - no - wasn't a member who gave me the advice - it was some visitors to the house who used to "sheep farm", and they saw the kids in the living room. Havent received any bad advice here yet. In fact - I gave my vet the web address for here! She is going to be reading it a lot, she was fantastic. The former sheep farmer said that the moms lay on or reject the kids because there is something wrong with the kid. I don't buy that. Some are just bad moms. Just went out to the shed, honey had lain on the head of the last triplet. Not a good mom, Duskys has passed as I got the shed this morning. I know Dusky's could never find the udder even after all this time, we would keep putting him to it, and he still had trouble figuring it out., but we did ok on the bottle. Honey wasnt interested, and seemed to find the kids a hinderance as did Dusky, we were finally persuading dusky to stand because I would hold her and dawn by the collar and she saw dawn standing so she stood. Flicka now looks ill, I gave her 2 cc of antibiotic last night. I think I should give her a bit more.

18. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Oh you poor thing, it is just one thing after another with you! I had this year last year, and boy am i glad it is over with it, you are in my thoughts and along with every one elses on the forum. I really hope things get better for you soon, but they will get better!

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, I am sos sorry that you lost her and the other baby. I sure was hoping that Flo would make a full recover, as were you and the others.
    I have never lost a baby because mom laid on it, but i tell you I am always worried about it. I always thing that it is just a accident when they lay on the babies. I do not believe that mom's lay on them because something is wrong with the babies, I think it is just because it happens. You know a oops.
    Again, I am so sorry for your loss. :hug: :hug:

Congratulations on the new baby. :dance: :girl: